•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help Save the Dark Sky

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ivins, Utah

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

An initative in Southwest Utah is underway to preserve the dark sky and obtain International Dark Sky Community status for the City of Ivins.

To this end, may I request a minute of your time to fill in the survey showing support to the local goverment officials for Dark Sky preservation. The link below leads to the endorsement web-page.

https://ivinsnightsk...munity-support/

The results will be used to encourage the City Council to adapt lighting ordinances in line with IDA recommendations.
The economic impact of Astronomers visiting the area will be viewed favorably by the City Council and is one reason for requesting your input.

To put numbers on the skies, SQM readings of 21.15 in the western outskirts of town, are typical. It's great to be able step out of one's home and see the Milky Way from horizon to horizon. Telescope / binocular viewing from home without having to travel is terrific.

Many Thanks

Tim

• Dave Mitsky, rustynpp, George N and 2 others like this

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

waytogo.gif

• Tim Povlick likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

done!

• Tim Povlick likes this

#4 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

Done!  Good luck!

I think that, ultimately, until places can get a handle on population growth (ie: zero growth) regional sky quality (and overall quality of life) will continue to degrade.  Sad, unpopular in some circles, but true.

Edited by Arcticpaddler, 13 August 2019 - 03:17 PM.

• Tim Povlick likes this

#5 Americal

Americal

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:22 AM

Done!

• Tim Povlick likes this

#6 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:14 AM

Outstanding Tim, and good luck.  Far too many people just talk about LP without getting involved in some way.  The IDA is really helpful for people who want to get involved on many levels.  I just dipped my toe into that pool when I was laid off from my job, so those efforts have taken a backseat for me for the moment, but not completely.

Don't forget that a lot of naturalists are strong supporters of dark sky initiatives.  At the Texas Dark Sky Festival I met several Master Naturalists who have just as strong a level of support as we do.  Also don't forget the heritage aspect.  That is something I intend to play off in my community.

Good luck and keep us informed.  I, for one, am keenly interested.

Now, on to the survey....  :grin:

• Tim Povlick and aatt like this

#7 Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

Thanks to all who responded to the survey.   If you haven't, please take a minute to do so.

The dark sky friendly proposed ordinance will be presented to the city council today (Thursday the 15th). This is a step to acquiring IDA Dark Sky certification.

Even though an area is growing, keeping dark skies can be accomplished using LED lighting with CCT at or below 2700K range and controlling luminance level and light spill. LEDs have the advantage of instant ON and dimmable. Some cities are using adaptive lighting to dim their streetlights to 25% late nights and increase based on activity.

George: Thanks for the tips / information about these additional points as these are very helpful.

Tim

• paul likes this

#8 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

Thanks to all who responded to the survey.   If you haven't, please take a minute to do so.

The dark sky friendly proposed ordinance will be presented to the city council today (Thursday the 15th). This is a step to acquiring IDA Dark Sky certification.

Even though an area is growing, keeping dark skies can be accomplished using LED lighting with CCT at or below 2700K range and controlling luminance level and light spill. LEDs have the advantage of instant ON and dimmable. Some cities are using adaptive lighting to dim their streetlights to 25% late nights and increase based on activity.

George: Thanks for the tips / information about these additional points as these are very helpful.

Tim

Tim, let us know how you make out.  I'm personally VERY interested.  I'm in a similar situation where II live.  In the last 5 years I've gone from clearly seeing the Milky Way from my property to last year only twice being able to pick it out (only because I knew what I was looking at) to this near not seeing it at all.  I'm just getting started on the process here.  I'm going to try to get an audience with the new City Manager next week.  I'm also giving a presentation on light pollution to my club next week.

#9 aatt

aatt

Surveyor 1

• ***--
  • Loc: CT

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

Done
  • Tim Povlick likes this

#10 Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

Done

Thanks!

=---=

Update - An ordinance was proposed to the CC to set the maximum CCT of commercial lighting to 3000K and residential to 2700K as well as shielded fixtures. A blog post about the effort is at:

https://ivinsnightsk...-health-safety/

This passed on a 3:2 vote at the  Thursday  (Aug-15) meeting. There was a large group of citizens turned out in 100F heat to show their support.  Once folks see the dark sky and can fall asleep looking at the stars they sure don't want to give it up.

One concern voiced at the CC was availability of 2700k bulbs for residential. A check of Home Depot shows Cree brand in 2700k with a 90 CRI (which is excellent). My experience with the Cree is this is an excellent bulb.  For streetlights, more and more mfg are offering as low as 2700 as well as 3000k so this is not  a concern. 

The next goal is to pass an update to the lighting ordinances to meet IDA requirements to qualify fo community Dark Sky designation.

Tim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics