•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon - Lansberg's surroundings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Here is my latest observation of the moon. The Lansberg crater itself is not in the sketch but I've got it's family from A to G. The scene was very close to the terminator and in reality everything was much darker then in my sketch.. I somewhat have problems putting pressure on the pencils or they just don't work well in high humidity, I use the wrong paper probably.

I tried.

A couple of mountains are there too,  all the details captured at the eyepiece only using my 200x1000 Newtonian on a GEM with my Fujiyama 5mm Eyepiece giving 200x, reversed image.

l9qdbCF.png

The diameter information came from the Lunar field Atlas II. Some things don't add up with the sketch, problem is probably me.

This is it (;

Edited by N3p, 11 August 2019 - 07:57 PM.

• Special Ed, paulsky, rerun and 6 others like this

#2 stargazer60

stargazer60

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Texas

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

Nice very nice it looks like I am viewing it thru a telescope.  Nice work keep it up. bow.gif waytogo.gif 

• N3p likes this

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

Vey well done looks exceptional on my monitor.

Frank :)

• N3p likes this

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:13 AM

Fine sketch and great work on the lunar surface, all those subtile shades of grey waytogo.gif 

#5 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

Great sketch. Did you notice three domes near Lansberg D? In such low light there could be visible. I discovered them by chance

Moon_20160911_1915UT_LansbergD.jpg

Moon_20170604_1930UT_LansbergD_domes.jpg

Edited by Sasa, 12 August 2019 - 08:51 AM.

• rerun, niteskystargazer and N3p like this

#6 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

N3p,

Good sketch of Moon - Lansberg's surroundings smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#7 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

Great sketch. Did you notice three domes near Lansberg D? In such low light there could be visible. I discovered them by chance

Moon_20160911_1915UT_LansbergD.jpg

Moon_20170604_1930UT_LansbergD_domes.jpg

Ahhh no i could not see these domes Sasa ); I am not 100% sure.. that sector was darker a bit, I remember shades but not the domes.

Thanks for pointing these out to me, if I ever go back there someday..

Nice sketches, I'll save them along with mine as a log, a sector I need to go back to investigate further.

#8 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

Well actually these were out of my sketching field, that's maybe why I didn't noticed them.  But in my sketch I have a pale sector top right just over the D, Perhaps that was in fact, the first dome.

#9 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:30 AM

Well actually these were out of my sketching field, that's maybe why I didn't noticed them. But in my sketch I have a pale sector top right just over the D, Perhaps that was in fact, the first dome.

Yes, I thought the same that the pale rounded patch at the edge of your sketch could be one of the domes.

One dome is more easy to see. I noticed it one night without prior knowledge about it. When I was checking the region another night, there seemed to be three domes instead of one. The additional two were more rough and I guess they are recognizable only at very low light.

https://www.fzu.cz/~..._Telementor.pdf

Edited by Sasa, 13 August 2019 - 01:31 AM.

#10 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

Yes, I thought the same that the pale rounded patch at the edge of your sketch could be one of the domes.

One dome is more easy to see. I noticed it one night without prior knowledge about it. When I was checking the region another night, there seemed to be three domes instead of one. The additional two were more rough and I guess they are recognizable only at very low light.

https://www.fzu.cz/~..._Telementor.pdf

I think it was probably the domes, Sasa. thank you for pointing that out to me.  I need to step up my level of observation even further to capture these faint but interesting details as I had no knowledge about the domes on the moon at all..

I am aware now.

Interesting report also with the Telementor and the Zeiss eyepieces. The highest precision to get the sharpest details I love my orthoscopics too.

#11 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Dear N3p

scenes near the terminator are harder to sketch with normal pencils. I recommend high quality drawing board and rather soft pencils. There is the risk, however, that you smear graphite into the highlights.

I like the Telementor sketch too. Beautiful instrument! I owned one for more than 20 years.

#12 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 12:03 AM

Dear N3p

scenes near the terminator are harder to sketch with normal pencils. I recommend high quality drawing board and rather soft pencils. There is the risk, however, that you smear graphite into the highlights.

I like the Telementor sketch too. Beautiful instrument! I owned one for more than 20 years.

Ok thanks for the suggestion, I never tried a drawing board in fact, I will look at what I can do.

I replaced my paper lately for better quality heavy sketching paper, the difference is major so far. It's going to help a lot.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics