•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyTools - will the ST4 visual ever be out?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:44 PM

May be a little off topic, but I don't use ST3 in the field because I don't have any hardware to run it on - other than a laptop which to me feels clumsy.  I have not minded using SS6, but I end up exporting my notes from that app to csv and then copying them into ST3.  In addition to all the benefits I'm hearing about the better eyepiece view I feel it would be nice to just skip over the note export process altogether.  Anyway, what devices do you like to use in the field that will run ST3 (and hopefully ST4 very soon)?

#27 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:03 PM

I use a Toshiba Encore 2 10" windows tablet. I bought it on Ebay for around 80 bucks. With the expandable memory slot I have a 128 GB micro SD card with various windows based astronomy programs on it with a piece of red rubylith over the screen which protects my eyes from blue light and also keeps me dark adapted. 

I might also add that I have all programs including ST3 on my 128 GB SD card and they run flawlessly.

Edited by Kyphoron, 02 September 2019 - 11:07 PM.

• brentknight likes this

#28 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:19 AM

SkyTools 4 Visual may be out this week.  I've got an extra HP laptop lying around and I'd really like to put SkySafari to bed if Tools does what it looks like it will do...

• Cyrano and Steve Cox like this

#29 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:44 AM

So far I've found Skytools 3 on my laptop with SharpCap the perfect combination. Really only looking forward to the chart upgrades. It's a fairly expensive program but really works for me doing EAA in the yard. And yes the Sktools forum indicates that the release is very near.

#30 RLawson

RLawson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

Really looking forward to it as well.

#31 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Next week at the earliest I think.

Owen

#32 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

Yeah - it's an expensive program, but there is nothing else quite like it.  I've primarily used it for the observation log and for generating observing lists that I import to SkySafari.  I'll skip the SkySafari step if the charts are improved...

• Jeff Lee and Steve Cox like this

#33 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

Yes, sometimes I use it on a 4k system and the charts (due to a windows issue/driver). If that is fixed it will be pretty close to perfect. For me the tools in visual are better suited for me and the EAA I do.

• brentknight likes this

#34 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

Yeah - it's an expensive program, but there is nothing else quite like it.  I've primarily used it for the observation log and for generating observing lists that I import to SkySafari.  I'll skip the SkySafari step if the charts are improved...

Given some of the growing issues and flakiness I'm experiencing of late with SkySafari/Livesky/Starry Night (and SimCurr's seeming uncaring attitude to fixing long known issues), I'm seriously considering replacing my Android tablet with an inexpensive 2-in-1 Acer 11" Win 10 computer and moving back to SkyTools exclusively, whether it's ST3 or ST4.  Also, in SimCurr's current model for SkySafari 6 and Livesky, there is no way I can find to import locally generated observing lists anymore, even in .skylist format.

#35 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

Given some of the growing issues and flakiness I'm experiencing of late with SkySafari/Livesky/Starry Night (and SimCurr's seeming uncaring attitude to fixing long known issues), I'm seriously considering replacing my Android tablet with an inexpensive 2-in-1 Acer 11" Win 10 computer and moving back to SkyTools exclusively, whether it's ST3 or ST4.  Also, in SimCurr's current model for SkySafari 6 and Livesky, there is no way I can find to import locally generated observing lists anymore, even in .skylist format.

With an Apple device - my iPad, it's fairly easy using iTunes.  Once the list gets into SkySafari, it shows up in LiveSky and from there can be shared with anyone using an email link.

Treasures of the Unicorn from Deep Sky magazine

On an Android device (I just tested this on a Tab A), connect to your computer with a USB cable.  Locate the Observing Lists folder on the device, then copy your skylist file from your computer to the folder on the device.

#36 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the tip Brent, I could not figure it out.  I kept trying the old way of using an import function, and since I couldn't find it in Livesky or SkySafari, I'd guessed it wasn't an option anymore.

• brentknight likes this

#37 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

Next week at the earliest I think.

Owen

Ah, yet another tease.

• brentknight likes this

#38 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:24 PM

Well, thought I'd read it would be released last week, oh well.  Still patiently waiting, but getting antsy - kind of like waiting at the door for UPS with your new scope.

#39 Spider

Spider

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SNJ

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Another teaser.

Looks like the Beta testing team and Greg are hard at work.

Soon.

Edited by Spider, 28 January 2020 - 02:56 PM.

#40 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

I did not realize there was a forum on the ST site. Yes, Greg is now keeping everyone up to date and it looks like very soon. As I've been looking how to do certain things Greg has been very responsive.

#41 RLawson

RLawson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

Any word yet?

#42 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:08 PM

I'm sure it's very soon, but it's been a month now since it was said it would be a week...

All good things come to those who wait... fingertap.gif

#43 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:11 AM

I have to admit I'm getting a little puzzled now. This will be the second time since December that we're a full month beyond the "should be out next week" announcement.  I wonder if Greg is running into issues or problems that are being more difficult to fix.

#44 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

No wine will be sold before its time....lol.gif

#45 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2020 - 03:36 AM

Looks like it may be out.

Owen

• Cyrano likes this

#46 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

It does appear to be out, but I seem to be unable to get the download at the moment.  I re-purchased the app last May due to a bad/corrupted set of install media, but the only option the store gave me at checkout is for a 50% upgrade price, not the free option offered at initial purchase.  Hopefully this is just an issue in the store website.  I have put a "Contact Me" request in to Greg through the website, though I imagine he's probably going to be busy for a bit because of roll-out, so I'm content to patiently await a reply.

#47 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:05 AM

It does appear to be out, but I seem to be unable to get the download at the moment.  I re-purchased the app last May due to a bad/corrupted set of install media, but the only option the store gave me at checkout is for a 50% upgrade price, not the free option offered at initial purchase.  Hopefully this is just an issue in the store website.  I have put a "Contact Me" request in to Greg through the website, though I imagine he's probably going to be busy for a bit because of roll-out, so I'm content to patiently await a reply.

Steve,

I just successfully did the ST3 Standard to ST4 Pro upgrade for $80, got a clean download and a perfect install including the extended star database.

Not sure what happened on your end. I'm sure Greg will get this sorted out for you.

Jim

• Steve Cox likes this

#48 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Greg has said if you are due the free upgrade you will get an email (if you enabled emails in your profile) and / or there will be a ungrade option to v3 that installs v4 if you are inline for the free upgrade. I am sure this is pretty complex but I feel it is coming shortly now.

#49 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

Greg already got back with me and confirmed what I suspected, they are having some glitches on the store side and is working on it now.

#50 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

Follow-up.  Greg delivered, sent me an email with a new license and updated my email contact info for registration, since that was another issue.  Download and install went flawlessly, and it seems migrating my data over went well too, without issue.

• Carl Kolchak likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics