•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Possible Substitute for Pier-Tech 2 Telescope Pier?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlsten

rlsten

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

I have been searching for a remote controlled, height-adjustable pier for a small, fully automated Roll-Off-Roof Observatory based on the Suncast shed (as described in this excellent post) that I am planning for EAA in my backyard using a Celestron 8" EdgeHD. 

The Pier-Tech 2 will obviously do the job, but it costs many $$$. I see from this post (https://www.cloudyni...r-tech-2-clone/) that the Pier-Tech 2 is based on the Linak DL2 lifting column, but unfortunately Linak doesn't sell directly to consumers.

So after looking around for other lifting columns, I came across this from Progressive Desk for $320.

FLT-11_1512x.jpg .

It has an approximately an 11-1/2" square top, and claims to support 225 lbs. It can be raised from 22" to 38.5".

I have a Starizona Pier Adapter that attaches to the Evolution mount and that can be affixed to a normal pier with three 1/2" bolts. I hope that I will be able to either alter the bottom plate of the pier adapter or the Lifting Column top plate to attach the mount.

Does this seem like a viable alternative as a height-adjustable pier? Can anyone think of any reasons why this would not work (assuming I can figure out how to attach the mount to the Lifting Column)?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Rod

#2 dandra

dandra

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

I have one of these: boat lift. You'll need a 12V DC power supply with sufficient amps and you'll need to wire it and the Linak lift to a DP/DT switch (easy, Google it). Works very well!

#3 rlsten

rlsten

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

I have one of these: boat lift. You'll need a 12V DC power supply with sufficient amps and you'll need to wire it and the Linak lift to a DP/DT switch (easy, Google it). Works very well!

That's great that you are using that! You know, I saw that very same unit, but I couldn't tell if it had a control box or whatever that was needed to lift and lower it. Does this have controls to raise and lower it, and all I have to add is a power source and of/off switch? Or does the switch you added control the raising and lowering?

Sorry if I'm being dense about thisconfused1.gif

May I also ask what telescope you have attached to it, and how you did it?

Thanks very much,

Rod

#4 dandra

dandra

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

It comes no controls or power source. It only has two wires (+/-) for 12V DC power. Moving up/down is done simply by swapping the polarity of the wires. That's where the switch comes in. The DP/DT rocker switch will swap the polarity (i.e. reverse wiring) making control very simple. I purchased the power supply, switch, and additional wiring on Amazon. 

I have a SW Esprit 120 on a Paramount MX+. I had to modify the Linak unit by drilling into the top plate so as to align holes. The base is anchored into concrete with threaded rod.

#5 rlsten

rlsten

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

It comes no controls or power source. It only has two wires (+/-) for 12V DC power. Moving up/down is done simply by swapping the polarity of the wires. That's where the switch comes in. The DP/DT rocker switch will swap the polarity (i.e. reverse wiring) making control very simple. I purchased the power supply, switch, and additional wiring on Amazon. 

Thanks very much! I think I get it.

Sorry to trouble you some more, but would this work as a power supply: LEDMO Power Supply, Transformers,LED Adapter, 12V, 5A Max, 60 Watt Max, for LED Strip, and this for a switch: Baomain Momentary 6 Pin DPDT Button On/Off/On Rocker Switch AC 250V/10A 125V/15A Black Plastic?

#6 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

Just adding my lifting column expieriences here https://www.cloudyni...ifting-columns/

-- Hans

#7 StarAlert

StarAlert

Viking 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

I have been searching for a remote controlled, height-adjustable pier for a small, fully automated Roll-Off-Roof Observatory based on the Suncast shed (as described in this excellent post) that I am planning for EAA in my backyard using a Celestron 8" EdgeHD. 

The Pier-Tech 2 will obviously do the job, but it costs many $$$. I see from this post (https://www.cloudyni...r-tech-2-clone/) that the Pier-Tech 2 is based on the Linak DL2 lifting column, but unfortunately Linak doesn't sell directly to consumers.

So after looking around for other lifting columns, I came across this from Progressive Desk for $320.

attachicon.gifFLT-11_1512x.jpg.

It has an approximately an 11-1/2" square top, and claims to support 225 lbs. It can be raised from 22" to 38.5".

I have a Starizona Pier Adapter that attaches to the Evolution mount and that can be affixed to a normal pier with three 1/2" bolts. I hope that I will be able to either alter the bottom plate of the pier adapter or the Lifting Column top plate to attach the mount.

Does this seem like a viable alternative as a height-adjustable pier? Can anyone think of any reasons why this would not work (assuming I can figure out how to attach the mount to the Lifting Column)?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Rod

Did you try this lifting column? 

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

I have a linak pier that does the same thing. It was pretty trivial to figure out how to control it with a relay so I could control it.

There are a ton of these things on wish and other websites.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics