•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary imaging with Q3.5 and Barlow --help please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom3

Tom3

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

I am having trouble imaging through the Barlow on my Q 3.5.  Using a ZWO camera on the axial port I have no trouble imaging the moon and Jupiter etc.  But I would like to be able to Image through the eyepiece port and put in the Barlow.  If I put the camera in the I eyepiece port t I can again image Jupiter (for instance) but once I swing the Barlow into place the image goes away.  Not even light for an out-of-focus image can be seen.  My camera has a 23 mm diagonal so it should be plenty big to capture the light coming through the Barlow even if the image is a bit off-center.  Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

Reads that the barlow is simply moving the image plane and so the camera is in effect out of focus.

Usually people add a barlow to extend the position of the image outwards so I expect that you need to move the camera out when the barlow is put into the optical path.

#3 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

When I flip the Barlow in with an eyepiece in place I need to turn the focus knob approximately one whole turn anti-clockwise to refocus. You'll probably have to do the same with the camera in place. I'd be surprised if the scope didn't have enough focus range to deal with it.

#4 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

Even a slightly out of focus image of a bright planet may not be visible with a camera. If you change focus too quickly you may pass through the focal point faster than your camera can respond. 

Using a distantan object during daylight you can count the number of turns between Barlow and eyepiece focus points. This will help you get close. 

Questar makes a Barlow for the axial port that works well for planetary imaging. An alternative is to get the Vernonscope Brandon to standard filter thread adapter.  This will let you use a standard Barlow at the eyepiece port. 

• Tom3 likes this

#5 Tom3

Tom3

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

Even a slightly out of focus image of a bright planet may not be visible with a camera. If you change focus too quickly you may pass through the focal point faster than your camera can respond. 

Using a distantan object during daylight you can count the number of turns between Barlow and eyepiece focus points. This will help you get close. 

Good idea, I will give that a try.

Thanks,

Tom

#6 Tom3

Tom3

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:10 AM

Rob,

Your suggestion worked; I made a mark on the focus knob so I could easily count revolutions (needed about 2).  I also realized (duh) that I would need to increase exposure or gain.  Raised exposure far enough to see Jupiter's moons for fine focus.  As the night went on I was able to reduce exposure time: probably my camera cooling down.

Thanks again,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics