•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to test the communication b/t LX200R and PHD2? (newbie)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jackeugene

jackeugene

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

I would first thank any forks who stops by and greatly thank those who could help!

I'm an experienced observer but new to astrophotography.  I'm trying to use PHD2 on Windows 8 laptop to autoguide my 10in LX200R mounted on a Mitty wedge.  After countless nights of reading posts and experimenting in the field, I could still not be able to connect the computer with the mount properly.  Here is what I did:

1 3D balanced and polar-aligned the mount (using Polemaster);

2 installed the lastest PHD2 2.6.6, ZWO camera driver 3.0.0.5, and LX200R ASCOM driver;

3 connected COMPUTER <--(usb3 cable)--> ZWO 224 <--(straight RJ12 cable)--> AUTOGUIDER port on the fork mount;

4 run the PHD2, connect the equipment ("ZWO ASI" camera and "on camera" the mount);

5 begin looping and calibrate the camera.

6 FAIL, and FAIL, and FAIL.

7 Never had any well-guided DSO photo (only non-guided ones)...

I can never calibrate the camera with the mount, and the calibration process always fails.  In some rare cases when succeeded, I still noticed that the mount could only follow the signal for one direction in the calibration process (e.g. the mount slews step-by-step towards the east at first, but never slews back).  This weekend, I repeated the above procedure again at home and tried to use the "manual guide" function in PHD2.  No response was observed and the mount only rotates along RA axis naturally no matter the camera is connected or not.  Except in one case where the mount seems to rotate along DEC direction and noise can be heard from the DEC motor.  Could there be something wrong with the chip inside the mount or if any of my operations is improper?  What will happen if I click the N S E W buttons in the manual guide interface?  How do I know if the mount is connected properly?

Since autoguiding the first step of high-level imaging, this is driving me crazy and I really don't want to give up on this.  I wish I could get some advice on this.

(I locate in capital DC.  If any forks in the east coast could offer hands-on help of using LX200R or LX200ACF, I would bring Georgetown Cupcakes and drive 5 hours to visit.)

Great thanks

• Wford likes this

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

You really don't need the autoguider cable and more importantly you need the autoguider cable that came with your camera as these are not standard. Just switch over to ASCOM guiding and get rid of the cable. Read the PHD manual, it's all in there and ditch that cable. 

Rgrds-Ross

• kurbs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics