•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes MK67 aftermarket focuser

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 manusfisch

manusfisch

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

My Intes focuser has given up the ghost.  Does anyone have an adapter or has made a moonlite or Feathertouch work on this scope.  Drawtube length etc.  Any suggestions or pointing in the direction of a solution would be appreciated. 

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

MoonLite already has adapters/everything you need for Intes scopes, just send them an e-mail. I have one on my Intes and it's outstanding.

• Tyson M and manusfisch like this

#3 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:59 AM

HI....I have an MK67 and purchased a custom-made adapter that uses grub screws to attach to the body, then converts to standard SCT threads. I can send you a picture. I have never found a commercial version, but will hunt down the lead above from agmoonsolns about Moonlite .

How long have you had the MK67? I purchased mine in 1999 when Orion was carrying them.

Mike

• manusfisch likes this

#4 manusfisch

manusfisch

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

Mike, I just got this scope after having an INtes mak newt that I love.  

I sent an inquiry to Moonlite and in the great spirit of customer service that they are known for i got an answer from Ron.   He pointed me to a page for Intes and there is a MK adapter that looks like a box that goes on the dovetail ring that I have not measured accurately yet.  here is the page

https://focuser.com/...kadapterkit.jpg

I then got a note back from Wayne Schroeder another class act who is jut up the road here in Indiana turning out great work and equipment.  

He assured me that the MK adapter was still for sale .  

http://starlightinst...&product_id=402

Now I have a dilemma ,   I will now need to find another Intes scope to have an aftermarket focuser shootout!

Thanks to all the CN'ers who take the time to help out the less experienced, the thick headed and the pilgrims on this massively wonderful avenue of information.  Tom

#5 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:06 PM

I'm not sure what this thread is doing in the refractor forum.

Isn't an MK67 a Maksutov design?

Maybe you would get more answers in the Catadioptric forum

#6 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:08 PM

I'm not sure what this thread is doing in the refractor forum.

Isn't an MK67 a Maksutov design?

Maybe you would get more answers in the Catadioptric forum

Agreed, should be moved.

#7 manusfisch

manusfisch

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:13 PM

sorry i punched the refractor instead of the reflector late at night.  My apologies, i dont make a lot of posts

#8 tmaestro

tmaestro

Messenger

• Loc: West of Houston, Texas

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:07 AM

That Starlight is probably great, but costs almost as much as the OTA.  It looks like you can get that bare bones single speed Moonlite for $165, which is nice.  I wonder what their adapter kit costs.

My MK67's focuser still works pretty good, but I can see how its going to go.  When the subject comes up I always kick around the idea of replacing it preemptively so I can keep the original focuser in working condition.  It's always tempting to think about.

Edited by tmaestro, 19 August 2019 - 08:22 AM.

• manusfisch likes this

#9 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Messenger

• Loc: Southwest

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

How long have you had the MK67? I purchased mine in 1999 when Orion was carrying them.

Mike

Same here, one of my first scopes, and used it often while Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune were all clustered in the same area of the sky at that time. Great scope.

Only sold it to buy a TEC MC150.

#10 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

I tried to get the MK67 adapter from Starlight and after 6 months they gave me my money back. This was earlier this year.

I just sent them a new inquiry to see if its still available.

Edited by photoracer18, 20 August 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#11 manusfisch

manusfisch

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

The moonlite adapter kit was I believe 50.00 upgrade.   My focuser still works, original part, but like you tmaestro I wanted to preserve it and see if I could spend some time this winter tuning it up.   Looking forward to these thunderstorms to quit next week.  Tom Fischer

• TomTTuttle likes this

#12 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

• Loc: Pearl River, LA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

I'm in this same boat, but at the Starlight prices, they aren't an option. My Scot blood may cease pumping if I paid $155 for a fancy metal ring, not to mention another $500 for the focuser. I'm fighting the little voices in my head (hey, you're just jealous they won't talk to you!) on spending ~$300 for the Moonlite. The $50 for the Moonlite adapter plate causes pause. Triple that is a non-starter.

Edit -- Ok so I'm a big ole liar. Just did a deal for a used Feather Touch here on CN. So I'll be picking up the Starlight adapter... Someone get the AED ready just in case.

Edited by TomTTuttle, 21 August 2019 - 06:35 PM.

• manusfisch likes this

#13 manusfisch

manusfisch

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

Tuttle, that is a great opportunity.  I just bought my first moonlite focuser and am headed home to see if it fits.  Bravo.

#14 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

I sent an message over to Starlight just to make sure the latest on availability. 

Here's what Wayne replied:

... adapters are in stock and available.

Yes we did have a lengthy lead time previously on this particular part as we were out of stock and had to machine more.  We machine our own parts which is great for quality control but when we run out of a slower selling adapter like this, we wait until we have a few sold before we machine more.  But I can tell you that we machined a batch of them last month and are now anodizing them in which we do in house.

#15 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:48 PM

As I noted earlier I sent Wayne an inquiry and he said they were in stock. So I ordered one last week and got notified today that it shipped. Yes $155 seems kind of high, sort of like the $200 iOptron charges for their version of the Mach1 ADATRI so you can put an AP mount on the Tri-Pier when AP's own adapter only costs about $70. Admittedly the iOptron adapter has larger holes for the bigger bolts needed by their top plate. But if you already have a Starlight FT2008BCR then its cheap. In my case the FT focuser came with 2 fully adjusted draw,tubes, the original .8" and a 1.5" that was sent back to get the focuser adjusted so either could be used. Not sure if there is enough space available to use the 1.5" tube before it hits the rear plate of the Mak. I am guessing not.

Edited by photoracer18, 28 August 2019 - 05:54 PM.

#16 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

Mine was shipped as well.  Tracking shows it will be here next Tuesday (dang holidays. :( )

My new-to-me FT Focuser came in yesterday.  I have to admit it is really really nice.  I had mounted a GSO linear bearing to a 130SLT and that was nice but it this is in a different league feel wise. Just super smooth and effortless.  I've done some R&D machining in a past life, and this is beyond my meager abilities.

#17 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

Got mine on Friday and installed it Sunday on my MK67.

MK67 adapter-1024.gif

Should have done an image with my Intes 2" diagonal in it also.

Edited by photoracer18, 02 September 2019 - 03:58 PM.

• Jaimo! and TomTTuttle like this

#18 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

Mine came Sunday. Wasn't expecting USPS to deliver it, but they did.   Didn't take long to install as all, and was easier than the Moonlite that I put on the Newt as well.  It's pretty nice...

#19 TomTTuttle

TomTTuttle

Sputnik

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

@photoracer18 - I just noticed the mount for my finder scope is different than yours.  Mine has 2 parts: The top has the rings and comes down to a single rectangle block with 1 thumbscrew in it and a metal plate that goes vertically into the main piece.  On the scope there is the opposite part - a rectangle with a slot of the metal plate to fit into and a screw-hole for the thumbscrew. And a second matching plate on the other side.  See this post: https://www.cloudyni...luxe/?p=4972349  

It looks like you have the other mount screw-holes but you don't have a 2 part base.  It interesting that yours is different.

#20 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

I have one of those finders/brackets in my collection. Its my understanding that the Orion Argonaut MK67 and the Intes MK67 did not have the same parts in some areas of the accessories. My MN56 has the finder you have I think. Also my MN56 does not have the low profile helical focuser but instead has one that looks exactly like the MK67 one, the black Crayford. I am going to unpack it soon to measure it to see if it is exact and if so then the Ft MK67/69 adapter should work to use an FT focuser on that also. I have one more 2" FT  sitting in my parts but its the FT2020BCR. I don't know if it will fit and work with that machined shelf that is inside the MK67 adapter.

#21 bigeyes

bigeyes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:43 AM

Hello,

I just bought a Intes MK-67 telescope. This is my first telescope. I have practice some astrophoto in the past with dslr and telephoto lenses but have no experience of telescope and visual observing.

I think the focuser on my Intes is the original Crayford focuser. The problem I got is that the focuser cant hold the weight of the diagonal and eyepiece when the telescope is pointing near zenith. Is it possible to adjust the ”clamping” force of the focuser mechanism or do I have to change the focuser?

If I am going to change the focuser do I have to collimate the telescope or make any other adjustment to achive good optical performance?

Attached Thumbnails

• 83EDFC9C-43A3-46E0-A57B-91F6B051CBEE.jpeg

#22 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Jupiter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

I never owned an MK 67, but I did have am Intes-Alter M809D. I imagine the focusing mechanism in each are quite similar. It's easy to remove the back end - including the primary mirror and focusing assembly - without touching or altering the alignment. So you might want to see why the original focuser bit the dust before you add an add-on unit (which work really well, btw). Because if your primary mirror position is way out of wack, an add on focuser (FTF or Moonlite) may not bring things into focus. Just a thought: not a recommendation.

Here's what the focuser assembly looks like on the Intes M809:

med_gallery_17233_3964_1407446289_22331.

On second thought, I'd recommend that you get either a FTF or a Moonlite Crayford focuser. If it works, there is no need to disassemble the OTA. If it doesn't work, you may have to repair the internal focuser.

Edited by elwaine, 05 September 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#23 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

I never owned an MK 67, but I did have am Intes-Alter M809D. I imagine the focusing mechanism in each are quite similar. It's easy to remove the back end - including the primary mirror and focusing assembly - without touching or altering the alignment. So you might want to see why the original focuser bit the dust before you add an add-on unit (which work really well, btw). Because if your primary mirror position is way out of wack, an add on focuser (FTF or Moonlite) may not bring things into focus. Just a thought: not a recommendation.

Here's what the focuser assembly looks like on the Intes M809:

med_gallery_17233_3964_1407446289_22331.

On second thought, I'd recommend that you get either a FTF or a Moonlite Crayford focuser. If it works, there is no need to disassemble the OTA. If it doesn't work, you may have to repair the internal focuser.

The MK67 (and at least one earlier one) have fixed optics so no moving mirror and no SCT threaded port on the back. Only a focuser on the back port. Both Moonlite and Starlight make adapters for their focusers to fit these. If you already have one of their focusers laying around (2" size) its a no-brainer although the FT adapter is more expensive than the ML one. Some like me prefer the fixed optics because the element separation is always the perfect match, which may or may not be in the moving mirror optics although they are supposed to be matched at the infinity focus point.

#24 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

Hello,

I just bought a Intes MK-67 telescope. This is my first telescope. I have practice some astrophoto in the past with dslr and telephoto lenses but have no experience of telescope and visual observing.

I think the focuser on my Intes is the original Crayford focuser. The problem I got is that the focuser cant hold the weight of the diagonal and eyepiece when the telescope is pointing near zenith. Is it possible to adjust the ”clamping” force of the focuser mechanism or do I have to change the focuser?

If I am going to change the focuser do I have to collimate the telescope or make any other adjustment to achive good optical performance?

No but you may or may not want to use a holographic laser to exactly center the new focuser using the set screws on it and the adapter. Otherwise long F-ratio scopes are more forgiving in collimation errors that short ones. I have not done it on mine although I plan to visit that sometime in the future.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics