•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10" or 8"?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Here are the deals I'm seeing locally.

One is the Orion XT10  $660 NEW in box. He's selling it for $425

Another one is selling same scope...slightly used but still in very good condition for $375

Now today, a new post is up for a Orion XT 8"     But it was only used a handful of times. It's $500 new. He's selling it for $450 but...he's including some 2" lens' and a collimator in a hard shell case which i added up to $330 alone! So, that's a $380 savings over this scope if it was new.

Thing is, i have used my old Coulter 8" dob for many years in the past. My head is swimming about what to do. 10" is nice, but....like i said, he's adding some really costly eye piece that are 2" that would increase the FOV.

Please help me decide what's best here. Thanks

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

Costly eyepiece/s? What are they? If they are the standard Celestron/Orion type... I'd go with the 10"... now, if they are TV eyepiece/s that may be a different story 

#3 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

24 dollars.jpg 71 dollars   9mm wide field  1.25 eye piece.jpg 82 dollars   2 inch eye piece.jpg 150 dollars.jpg

They are generally in the $80 price range on Amazon. They can't be that bad. Sure, i know you can pay a fortune on eye pieces, but aren't these decent enough?80 dollars.jpg

And yes the Orion 28mm is the one that comes with it (2")

Edited by patindaytona, 13 August 2019 - 08:49 AM.

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

The 28mm is probably one of two that came with the scope... I have my 12" Orion Dob that came with a 31mm. Its not a TV, but it is a decent EP, but not overly expensive to purchase on the used market. If you dont have a collimator, that would be a must, but again, not overly expensive. I am not a Barlow fan for visual astronomy, so that wouldnt play into my equasion, and the other 2 eyepieces are probably ok... but do you already have similar sizes?

I think I'd still go with the 10"... if you know dobs and can check it out first, probably the used one and put the saved $50 into a laser collimator...

Tough call... but a fun one!

#5 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:55 AM

You have an 8",  why not get the 10"?      You can always sell the 8" and buy an EP or two.    jd 

#6 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

My first scope was the Orion XT8P. A great little dob. But soon thereafter a friend of mine purchased their XT10i. The views were much better (more light).  I still have my old Orion Q series ep's. They were adequate, I have since moved on to others (see my signature). Definitely get the 10" now. You can ad better ep's later via our classified. Maybe a 2" (around16mm) for low 75X wide views, and a 1.25" (around 8mm) for 150X for closer look/see views.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Ed D

Ed D

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

My suggestion would be to go with the 10" Dob.  The actual difference in use between an 8" and a 10" will WOW you.  I'm speaking from experience, having owned and used 6", 8" and 10" Dobs.  I'm sure many/most here would agree.  BTW, I'm 65 and use a hand cart to move my 10" Dob in and out of the house.  The hand cart makes moving the large Dob so easy it's Grab & Go.  I can also move it around in two pieces, tube and base, if I have to.

The laser collimaor you pictured isn't expensive, and I found them going for around $23 new.  A simple collimation cap will work well, as will checking on a defocused bright star, which is easy enough to do.  You can always get eyepieces for your specific interests at reasonable prices right here in the CN classifieds.  I have bought and sold many eyepieces over the years and have been very happy.

Ed D

Edited by Ed D, 13 August 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

Get the 10" or bigger. Get the biggest dob you can reasonable move and be comfortable with. You can always get eyepieces later. But replacing the scope at any moment is much more difficult. Aperture rules.

While you can get trapped in the idea of having lots of extras, eyepieces, etc, the main component you need to focus on right now is getting the scope you want. I would rather have a 12" aperture and a single 25mm eyepiece than an 8" aperture and a case of eyepieces. You will simply see more in the 12" and that matters more.

Heck, save a bit more, shop for a used 12" dob and go from there. I wouldn't go for smaller OTAs just to get random eyepieces that you may not even use or fit your needs and preference. Eyepieces are very personal when it comes to preference, comfort, etc.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 13 August 2019 - 09:42 AM.

#9 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Ok, I'll go with the 10" then. Appreciate the input and advice here. By the way, i have alot of time on my hands, so was just calculating differences (price).

8" Scope :$330 eye pieces
$500 for the scope if it was new
$380 saving

10" scope: $425 (selling brand new in the box) $235 saving

10" scope: Used but in very good condition (dusty mirror) $375 (new $660)

All are the XT Orion's

68842628_2369906099919882_7428955505407557632_n.jpg    This is the used one but in very good condition. He said he never cleaned the mirror before and doesn't know how. Do you see hair? or what? For the $50 more i can get the brand new one instead that's selling.

• SteveG and vdog like this

#10 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:02 AM

My suggestion would be to go with the 10" Dob.  The actual difference in use between an 8" and a 10" will WOW you.  I'm speaking from experience, having owned and used 6", 8" and 10" Dobs.  I'm sure many/most here would agree.  BTW, I'm 65 and use a hand cart to move my 10" Dob in and out of the house.  The hand cart makes moving the large Dob so easy it's Grab & Go.  I can also move it around in two pieces, tube and base, if I have to.

The laser collimaor you pictured isn't expensive, and I found them going for around $23 new.  A simple collimation cap will work well, as will checking on a defocused bright star, which is easy enough to do.  You can always get eyepieces for your specific interests at reasonable prices right here in the CN classifieds.  I have bought and sold many eyepieces over the years and have been very happy.

Ed D

I just bought a 10" Coulter for $125 in perfect condition. Red. Where I live, 20 yards straight across the parking lot, porch light is on every night because it's not occupied. Trees to east blocks most of sky. All i have is pointing over my flat roof to the south (florida...you do the math) and a swatch overhead. Of course i can wait till rotation for alot of things, but their's so much light pollution. I did see the moon with the 10" and was amazing. I didn't compare it side by side with my 8" Coulter though. Regardless, would the 10" all things being equal, pick up more star light and extended objects where I'm at?

#11 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

Those new prices are inflated. An XT8 is $450, and the 10 is $550.

The laser is $30, HD60 is $60 new, an the rest are at most $99 new. You can buy used here on CL classifieds for less.

The 10" will do much better on M13, and f5 coma is not bad. The weight is hefter but manageable in pieces. At a dark site you will wish you had the 10". Weight and setup become more outrageous at 12".

The best reason to get the 8" is if you want the base going in a sedan trunk so you can bring a passenger. The 10-12" mean no passengers alliwed unless you have an SUV or a collapsible. 8" can be carried in one piece for 50-100 feet and is a nice compliment to a later 12".

Edited by stargazer193857, 13 August 2019 - 10:46 AM.

#12 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

Those were Amazon prices. If i bought anywhere but local, the shipping would be astronomical.

#13 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

Assuming the condition of each is as stated, you can't go wrong with any of them. Even though I have an 8" and love it--and wouldn't trade it--a 10" will give you more deep space grasp and brighter objects. However, keep in mind that you have to move it. There are advantages to 8" if you are going to struggle lifting and moving the 10". While a 10" solid tube is probably the upper comfortable limit for most healthy individuals, it's not the upper limit for all individuals as some will find it to be too much and still others can actually handle a 12".

However, a two wheel dolly works wonders for almost any weight.

Teeter on Dolly.jpg

Chesterguy

• izar187 likes this

#14 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Nice setup. Yes, i'll try to get the 10" saturday.

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

I would go with the 10. The little extra light grasp will show up nicely at a dark sky site.

#16 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

10". Those eyepieces are nothing special, and the laser? Well... it may well give you mania trying to collimate with it. Prices are a bit high I also think.

• Jon Isaacs and SteveG like this

#17 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

On paper, the 10" has a thicker mirror that cools slower, more coma, etc.

At a dark sky site, you will always want more aperture once you are set up and before you have to tear down. Coma can mess up globular clusters at the edge of wide angle eyepieces. I use the wide angle to find them, and the center to resolve them. I'd rather have the extra brightness so I can look right at it.
Mirror thickness is more an issue on cold nights.

Edited by stargazer193857, 13 August 2019 - 10:13 PM.

#18 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

I see a 12” sky watcher collapsible Dobsonian posted in classfied. But i guess since i'm new here, it said i can't send another message till about 6 hours from now. 12"!!

i know it would be hard to carry and all that, but i really don't care. It would really pick up alot of faint objects. I hope I can contact him later on. I wish i could now.

#19 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

And how does this work....Ebay protects you if you don't get what you ordered. ?

#20 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

I would get the 10". Those accessories are really not that great. The one with a dirty mirror can be cleaned and looking new in about 30 minutes.

#21 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

I was looking here in the classifieds and found a   12” sky watcher collapsible Dobsonian, For $650. How do you know if you are going to get what you ordered or scamed? It's alot of money to put trust in someone you do not know. Ebay protects you I think in those cases. Any suggestions?

#22 patindaytona

patindaytona

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

Well, he's having someone else locally look at it first, so I guess that's out of the question now. If the guy decided not to take it, then i'd be suspicious about buying it.

I could spend my money on a brand new 10" scope, but the used one's i see have such great reductions in cost. I don't know what to do now.

#23 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:39 PM

I was looking here in the classifieds and found a   12” sky watcher collapsible Dobsonian, For $650. How do you know if you are going to get what you ordered or scamed? It's alot of money to put trust in someone you do not know. Ebay protects you I think in those cases. Any suggestions?

When buying larger used scopes I would want to examine the optics.  Dirty mirrors are ok.  Scratched or chipped mirrors are not.  Don't forget to monitor Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.  You may have to be willing to travel a bit but bargains are out there.  Florida seems to have a fair number of used scopes pop up on both.  I have seen 10 inch, 12 inch, even 20 inch scopes available recently.  I bought a used 10 inch dob listed on Craigslist that needed a little TLC.  The mirrors were dirty, the focuser set screws were loose and the finder was missing but the price was right. Several members of my astronomy club have purchased scopes off Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in the last couple months for good prices.  One advantage of buying this way is you get to examine the scope.  Good luck!

Edited by Napp, 14 August 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Cloudy Nights is not an auction house that makes a profit off of each transaction.  The Cloudy Nights classifieds is a service that connects amateur astronomers buying and selling.  

There is a Terms of Service article for the classifieds but I cannot find it.  Basically it says that Cloudy Nights takes no responsibility for the transactions, that you need to protect yourself.  Do not use friends and family PayPal because you are avoiding the protection PayPal provides.  

I buy and sell mostly on Astromart.com.  Everyone uses their real names, aliases are not allowed.  To sign up for the site, you need to provide the owner (Herb York of Anacortes Wild Bird and Telescope) with your contact information plus a credit card which he uses to verify your identity.  It costs $15/year.  I have purchased nearly all my equipment from other amateur astronomers via astromart.

When I buy here, I look at ratings, the number of posts someone has.  I look at their posts.  I normally buy from members I "know" and trust.

One last thing, one of the reasons you are having trouble sending PMs is because new members have restrictions so that someone cannot join and immediately spam the classifieds. 

Jon

#25 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

I see a 12” sky watcher collapsible Dobsonian posted in classfied. But i guess since i'm new here, it said i can't send another message till about 6 hours from now. 12"!!

i know it would be hard to carry and all that, but i really don't care. It would really pick up alot of faint objects. I hope I can contact him later on. I wish i could now.

If you have a good strategy to get the telescope out with not too much efforts yes.. But on a week night at 9:30 if you work the next morning, lifting a 12" around requires a certain amount of motivation.

In my opinion It needs to be easy because every extra step is grinding the motivation away, especially when you are tired at the end of the day, which is usually the case for me at least. crazy.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics