•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R Pro - Not Slewing Correctly

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sk123

sk123

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Ana - California

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

Hi 

I am seeking help with my EQ6-R Pro. I had it in storage for a couple of months . It was working perfectly before that period. However, now  I am having problem slewing correctly to objects even after doing two and three-star alignment. . It is always off target but the object can still be seeing in the finder scope. I did firmware update to Version 4.39.5; factory reset and I use PoleMaster for polar alignment and home position is still not changed from before,  but I still couldn't solve the problem. I have basic knowledge with the mount. I don't hear any weird noises in particular but I noticed that the mount is not responding to PHD2 to make calibration. PHD2 keeps giving me messages that the star did not move enough to calibrate. No cable stuck and it is well balanced. Anyone experienced the same issue before and was able to solve it? Please share with me your thoughts. I appreciate your help? 

Samuel - Santa Ana, CA 

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

Have you GPS for the date, time and location ?

Just wondering if you have the GPS Rollover problem.

If you have GPS then when convenient power up and check the date. It may not be 2019.

If not that then perform a reset to wipe the memory and enter your location and data again. Then see how it goes.

#3 Eye stein

Eye stein

Lift Off

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Since you had it in storage and it was working before I  strongly suspect THAT has something to do with your problem.

I would run a new  PEC for it. Gear lubricant may have flowed on a hot day or just by gravity

sitting in one spot, then you might be getting sticky wicket on the gears. If you haven't tried PEC then I suggest

you should try it.

Also ,if your using eqmod, try changing "append on sync" mode to "dialog mode"...it works great for me.

best

Joe

#4 sk123

sk123

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

I don't have GPS but if you are referring to  accurate location, I use Polar Scope Pro to get the location and time.  I have been using the same information for a long time. I did factory reset and that usually fixes the problem, but not this time. I did encoder sync to Arcturus which is one of the alignment star, but to my surprise it pointed completely away from Vega when I tried to test the accuracy. Also, I checked the level and it is good. I guess I am missing a step somewhere. After I center in the finder scope, I double check the accuracy on laptop's screen using reticle overlay. In the past, a two-start alignment would produce accurate slewing to target. I have never needed more than two-star before. I am just wondering whether the controller is messing up again. I have had problems with the original controller and Sky-Watcher sent me a replacement which is the one I am using now, but I had no problems with it since then. 

#5 sk123

sk123

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

Hi Joe,

I have a basic knowledge with the mount. So, I have never used PEC before. It is a fairly new mount. I got it about a year ago. I would take your recommendations, I will open it today and check it. I will also see if there is any obstruction too. it is a little stiff learning curve for me and unfortunately there aren't enough tutorials to learn PEC. It could be a simple process but I need to be taught to do it at least once or I can use trials and errors until I get it right. SynScan tends to save the last PA coordinates and it will give you errors if it deviates. There is a process to wipe it out of memory. I only did it once before. I wonder if this is a part of the problem.  I guess I need to clear it out so I can register the new PoleMaster alignment. I am not sure whether my description of the error is accurate. I usually get the error message after I do the the two-star alignment, but I ignored before and that did not affect the slewing accuracy. 

#6 David-LR

David-LR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: AR

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

Hi Joe,

I have a basic knowledge with the mount. So, I have never used PEC before. It is a fairly new mount. I got it about a year ago. I would take your recommendations, I will open it today and check it. I will also see if there is any obstruction too. it is a little stiff learning curve for me and unfortunately there aren't enough tutorials to learn PEC. It could be a simple process but I need to be taught to do it at least once or I can use trials and errors until I get it right. SynScan tends to save the last PA coordinates and it will give you errors if it deviates. There is a process to wipe it out of memory. I only did it once before. I wonder if this is a part of the problem.  I guess I need to clear it out so I can register the new PoleMaster alignment. I am not sure whether my description of the error is accurate. I usually get the error message after I do the the two-star alignment, but I ignored before and that did not affect the slewing accuracy. 

I would reset the encoders from the park position.  It has caused me problems before with my Atlas some years back and is a standard feature in EQMOD to be able to resynch the encoders.  In EQMOD, you put the mount in park position, then unpark it, then hit the resync.  I seem to remember you can do it with the hand controller, but it is more finicky.

FWIW

Edited by David-LR, 13 August 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#7 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

EQMOD usually has isues controlling that mount unless you disable the auxillary encoders.  There's an option to disable the encoders in EQMOD. The default parameters that PHD2 uses for calibration often fail with too little movement. You need to increase the step size in PHD2 to fix this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics