•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

macOS Command Line Telescope Control via WiFi

DIY equipment
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Obs30

Obs30

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

Is there a sample code/shell script or something similar that shows in some easy steps how to control a telescope (or better its mount) via command lines in a terminal window on my Macbook Pro and maybe even on my iPad with Swift? 

I actually tried INDIGO. It works pretty well on the MBP. I could access my mount utilising indigo_server, indigo_prop_tool and the mounts's WiFi hotspot. 

After some excellent and very helpful e-mail discussion with Peter from the INDIGO project, I kind of hit the (high) limits of what's possible with this configuration. I am not sure yet if these limits are software or hardware driven.

If I need more or different features in indigo, I would have to dig into the source code of the mount drivers and/or request certain features on the GitHub.

I have all the serial commands of the mount in documents provided by the mount suppliers (iOptron and Celestron), going via indigo is not very practical for me. I like to send those commands directly to the mount via WiFi and eventually I like to add my own math and algorithms.

Any pointers on how to do that would be highly appreciated.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics