•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Image - Nik Collection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

I'm pretty new to this astrophotography, so for the images I've been uploading I've been more or less following the steps of this tutorial: https://www.youtube....h?v=G-41RMTCdTE

Grabbing two videos (if the clouds permit) ... one for the disk, one for the proms  ... using AutoStakkert, RegiStax ... and then Photoshop for the rest. Yesterday, though, after putting the video of the solar  disk through AutoStakkert and looking at the resulting image I noticed there was a fair bit of detail of the proms visible there. Anyway, today, I had a look at that image in another way.

As I said, I'm pretty new to all this ... but certainly not to photography. There I used to rely heavily on CaptureNX ... until I got this Windows 10 Dell and found out the darn software wouldn't work anymore. The Control Points that CaptureNX used were just totally amazing. So I had to look around for something that did the same thing. What I found was the Nik Collection by DxO. A plugin for Photoshop. A suite of programs, actually. But all I had been using it for was the part called Viveza2. It had the control points I had come to rely on so much for my terrestial photography. Didn't work quite the same way ... but close. Anyway, that's all I used it for ... until today. 

Today I looked at the other seven pieces of software included in the suite. And was pleasantly surprised at what it could do for me in this new astrophotography thing that now has my interest! It has loads of presets and can even colorize. 

I got the image I just uploaded by using the Nik Collection on just the image Autostakkert gave me from the disk video from yesterday. I did not use the prom video at all. Just a preset that I found amongst the many there ... and not much else. Compare it to the image I uploaded yesterday. It is the same image ... except it only came from the solar disk video.

I think there's a lot of possibilites there. Anyone else out there on Cloudy Nights using it?

Attached Thumbnails

• Solar-Nik Collection.jpg

Edited by BeltofOrion, 13 August 2019 - 05:30 PM.

• nicknacknock, RickV, mikerepp and 1 other like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

I have the Nik Collection but have not tried it on any of my solar shots and your shot shows me it definitely has some possibilities. Thanks for posting!

Just tried it on an image, that really has some potential as you can control how much of an effect it has.

Edited by rigel123, 13 August 2019 - 07:43 PM.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#3 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

Very cool. If I am not mistaken. I think you can also get the Nik plugin for Gimp.

• BeltofOrion likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics