•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Obsession telescope: storage challenge

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Kukulkan

Kukulkan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

I just acquired a 20in Obsession telescope. Now I have the challenge of properly storing it. It will only fit through one door in my house that being the front door, and my wife's thoughts on storing it inside are, well, let's just say we don't have any guns in the house. So that leaves me with the garage. Because of the way our house is constructed the laundry is in a small room separate from the garage, but it vents directly into the garage. In San Antonio it gets kind of warm sometimes and then add the dryer moist heat coming through the wall quite frequently and I am not sure how to protect the scope. Is a plastic bag sufficient? Is airtight a bad idea? Any thoughts or suggestions Within the requirement that it must be in the garage are welcome. Thanks!

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

A dust cover is a must...  Something that will keep out the fine dust and car fumes - gas, oil ...etc.  Something that's not woven.  I kept a 15 watt night light in my rocker box to keep the humidity out.  It was always on.  I had a Classic 18".  Sold it because of back problems. 

How hot does it get in the garage in the summer with the cars?

• Augustus and Cali like this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

The dryer will also be humidifying the garage!

• Jim Waters likes this

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

This is why I got an 18".  It would fit through the exterior and interior doors.  It was also easier to hide in a corner.

• Don W likes this

#5 greenstars3

greenstars3

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:22 PM

Can you change the dryer vent so it goes outside?

Robert

• Jon Isaacs, izar187, havasman and 2 others like this

#6 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Messenger

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

Since I have been in San Antonio many times...let ME store it for you.  I'll keep it in the living room!

• ShaulaB likes this

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

Since I have been in San Antonio many times...let ME store it for you.  I'll keep it in the living room!

waytogo.gif

#8 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! 

I would fix the dryer vent first.  It should not be venting into the garage or any other structure.  The vent should be to the exterior.  You don't want the moisture or lint in the garage.   And if the source of air for the laundry space is connected to the garage...that would make for very inefficient drying.  I have seen some really poorly considered dryer vents...one was a neighbors into the enclosed crawl space under the house...it is a wonder that place didn't burn down with all the lint accumulated there over the years, and they had to replace floor joists, etc. when they rectified it.

The main negative to storing in the garage is operatonal: the scope will be quite hot in summer, and even with a fan will probably take over an hour to begin cooling reasonably.  So even if you store it in the garage most of the time, you might want to roll the mirror box into the house during the day on nights you want to observe.  That is what I do when I will be heading to elevation where the night time temps are in the 40's or 50's.  Gives me about 25 degrees head start. 

The eyebolts on the handles can be replaced/modified to make the rocker/mirror box easier to pass through doors.  I have mine set up so that the projection past the handles is only the height of the same sort of knob that is on the clamps (actually used the same knob, JB welded to either a cut bolt or all-thread--I don't recall which.)   It makes a big difference vs. those eyebolts sticking out, about the difference of an 18" vs. 20" scope.

• Jon Isaacs, Jim Waters, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#9 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Australia

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

I just acquired a 20in Obsession telescope. Now I have the challenge of properly storing it. It will only fit through one door in my house that being the front door, and my wife's thoughts on storing it inside are, well, let's just say we don't have any guns in the house. So that leaves me with the garage. Because of the way our house is constructed the laundry is in a small room separate from the garage, but it vents directly into the garage. In San Antonio it gets kind of warm sometimes and then add the dryer moist heat coming through the wall quite frequently and I am not sure how to protect the scope. Is a plastic bag sufficient? Is airtight a bad idea? Any thoughts or suggestions Within the requirement that it must be in the garage are welcome. Thanks!

Have you considered getting a new wife? smirk.gif

Built in the dining room:

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_5730.jpg

Edited by Kunama, 13 August 2019 - 06:59 PM.

• George N, Markovich, Jim Waters and 4 others like this

#10 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

Lives in the living room:

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_5790.jpg

• George N, Jim Waters, Jim T and 5 others like this

#11 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

OK, so that was not helpful,  maybe store it in the garage but cover it with the Telegizmos 365 cover right down to the floor.....

I got Telegizmos to make a custom sized cover for my 18"F3.5, it is very,very good.

Oh, ... Welcome to the Forum, lots of free advice here whether you want it or not flowerred.gif   Hope you enjoy the Obsession 20", great aperture, sure to give you years of great views.waytogo.gif

Edited by Kunama, 13 August 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#12 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

No way!

Bachelor?

- Cal

• Kunama likes this

#13 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Real nice scope.  If you live in Phoenix, AZ you have a new best friend...

• Kunama, Dougeo and Cali like this

#14 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

Real nice scope.  If you live in Phoenix, AZ you have a new best friend...

Um, you may be at the same latitude... ; )

- Cal

#15 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Have you considered getting a new wife? smirk.gif

Built in the dining room:

What on earth is that?

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 13 August 2019 - 08:32 PM.

#16 Kukulkan

Kukulkan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

The dryer was previously vented through the roof. However to get through the wall it was about a 3 in tube which built up considerable lint and fire hazard. So that was scrapped for the garage version. From the wall behind the dryer to the nearest outside wall is about 15 ft with a water heater Etc in between. We don't keep cars in the garage so this dryer is my biggest issue. I have modified a large garbage bag to cover it completely right now but realize I will need a better long-term solution. Most of my viewing is at my dark sky property 2 hours away. I am newly retired so I will be preparing that site specifically for this scope. Many challenges ahead.

#17 Pogo007

Pogo007

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

Maybe store in one of these?

https://www.amazon.c...ds=vivosun tent

I use one of these to store my 10" dob in an unheated studio behind my garage, but I live in Ontario Canada.  I had to build a little ramp in front of the flap in order to lift my scope above the lower flap.

#18 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

The last two homes I have owned have been laundry spaces inside that required a run of 12 feet or more to reach the exterior.  Typical run is between joists in the ceiling to reach an exterior wall.  With the vertical component reaching near the floor the total run is about 20 feet.  Shouldn't be an issue if the vent line is run properly and maintained/cleaned periodically.

The flexible connection pulled off once in the current house.  I entered the laundry space to find the dryer running creating a swamp fog:  hot & wet with water dripping from everything. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:53 AM

The last two homes I have owned have been laundry spaces inside that required a run of 12 feet or more to reach the exterior.  Typical run is between joists in the ceiling to reach an exterior wall.  With the vertical component reaching near the floor the total run is about 20 feet.  Shouldn't be an issue if the vent line is run properly and maintained/cleaned periodically.

The flexible connection pulled off once in the current house.  I entered the laundry space to find the dryer running creating a swamp fog:  hot & wet with water dripping from everything. 

I also recommend venting the dryer properly.  The exhaust in not only humid but will contain some lint, not the best for the space, not the bests for the scope.  In San DIego, my scopes share 12' x 14' space with the washer-dryer.  I keep them covered but I would never store them in the same space with a dryer vent.  You're retired, there's time to do it right.

Wife jokes aside, I always talk over any significant equipment purchase with my wife before buying.  This issue would have been resolved before purchase.  

If I didn't talk over these things with my wife, I wouldn't have half the stuff I have.  She always encourages me to go ahead.. always.

Jon

#20 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

I've mostly stored my Obsession 20 F/5 in the house (split-level - with scope downstairs). For  years I had a problem with a sliding glass door - scope with eye-bolts was maybe a half-inch too wide to fit - so each move was a struggle. My wife was, at first, surprised that I was so supportive of her idea to replace the sliding-glass door with a "French" (bat-wing) double door - then she realized that that would allow a 50-inch to fit in the house!  ;)

After first obtaining my 5x8 foot cargo trailer - I made the mistake of keeping the scope in it. After many dew-cycles - I had to re-coat the primary.

I have a 16x16 foot "garden shed" that will fit two riding lawn mowers - and the Obsession 20 fully assembled as long as the tube is below an altitude of maybe 30 degrees. However, in there - the primary again dew's up at dawn. Still -- that is the best solution short of an observatory. I need to add an AC power line to the shed - and then one of those primary mirror heater gizmo's on a timer. Then I could just roll the scope out about 15 feet to the observing site and be ready to observe. BTW - it is possible to mod an Obsession "classic" with a tube lock so that it can be rolled without dumping the mirror box and tube assembly out of the rocker box.

My wife's complaints about the 20 is not storage -- but climbing the ladder, and holding the truss poles while I put the UTA on. << What I hear from her about once a month or more; "Have you ordered one of those NMT short scopes yet? What are you waiting for? We need to be rid of that ladder!" >>

• izar187 likes this

#21 Ivan Maly

Ivan Maly

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

Kunama, on 13 Aug 2019 - 7:56 PM, said:

No way!

Bachelor?

- Cal

My 20 lives in a sort of living room too (not assembled). Moreover, it was a gift from Wife.

OP, good advice above (not counting the tongue-in-cheek familial discussion). All that said, however, our club's Obsession 20 lives in a space built like a small garage which, being an addition to a relatively disused rural property in the snow belt, probably has worse conditions inside than your garage. There is even an out-of-place vent there too, right over the scope. The scope is nearly 30 years old, the mirrors have been re-coated once. The scope is in perfectly fine shape, except the cosmetics of one side having been gnawed by some hungry animal one winter.

• George N likes this

#22 tommm

tommm

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

I made a box from 3/8" particle board and 2 x 3's to store mine in in the garage. I made it "spider tight", and have a 3/4" wide wool seal on the door.  There are vents near top left and bottom right, with mosquito netting over them.  I find that if I leave the garage door open during the day in summer it stays at outside temperature, and the scope lags that (i.e. cooler from cooling the night before), so it actually warms more if I move it outside before sundown.  But that is in high desert where night temperatures are 30 - 40 deg below daytime max temperatures.

Storage cabinet.JPG

You really need to move the dryer vent though.  If nothing else, I would likely try to make a flange to connect 4" drain pipe to the vent and run it out the garage door when the dryer is in use, disconnect the couplings and move it out of the way when not using the dryer.

• Kunama and howardcano like this

#23 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

Not sure why homes all have narrow doors. They should all be hospital wide inside and out.

#24 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Post number 22 WOW.

Ive a simple cabinet with doors built into the coolest corner of the garage, closest to the foundation blocks.

Inside the cabinet the scope is covered with a sheet to keep dust out ,then heavy blankets to insulate.

When I load up the scope goes directly int the minivan -have the AC cranked up driving to the observing site. 

So I am bringing a cooler than ambient mirror out in the the night , to play chase again earlier evening with fans.

Worse with the big thick mirror are the multi day events (GSSP) ect where your scope is going to be warm no matter what.

" but climbing the ladder, and holding the truss poles while I put the UTA on."

On that scope the truss poles should be snug and the UTA seats should just set on the poles.

No offense IMO that is a one person job.

• hdavid likes this

#25 BrettG

BrettG

Vostok 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Not sure why homes all have narrow doors. They should all be hospital wide inside and out.

My house, built in 1950 - the doors are so narrow, when we had to buy a new refrigerator a few years ago, we had to search for one that would fit through the doors, and into the kitchen (which also has some narrow walk ways due to counters).

It was  - interesting.

• izar187 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics