•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

dew prevention for DSLR camera body

dslr
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

How do you prevent condensation on your DSLR camera body when it is being used for astrophotography?  I see a lot of articles and products for dew prevention on lenses, but what about the camera body?  I was reading the manual for the Canon Rebel SL2 (200D), and it says that if condensation or dew begins to collect on the camera body, the camera should immediately stop being used, and it should be turned off, have the battery removed, and then taken somewhere (such as indoors) where the condensation can naturally evaporate.  That seems frustrating, but I suppose it would be better than risking damage to the camera body.  But it would be particularly bad if it happened during a critical event such as a Lunar eclipse.  Are there any methods to prevent this?  I was thinking of putting maybe a washcloth over the DSLR camera body, but the manual actually also talks about that as well, and it says to never cover the camera with a cloth or it could overheat.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 13 August 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#2 mashirts

mashirts

Messenger

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Have the relative humidity of the air surrounding the camera body be above dewpoint?
A plastic bag sealed with tape and dessicant? heating the camera would cause
An increase in noise correct. Sorry no experience with your circumstances.
Just speculation.

#3 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

Have the relative humidity of the air surrounding the camera body be above dewpoint?
A plastic bag sealed with tape and dessicant? heating the camera would cause
An increase in noise correct. Sorry no experience with your circumstances.
Just speculation.

I thought about a plastic bag too, but I think the principle might still be the same in that any kind of material insulating the camera while it is in operation could cause it to overheat.  And also if the camera becomes warm enough to prevent dew formation, then that could be very bad for long-exposure imaging.

#4 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:26 PM

I've had dew and even frost on my Canon T3i without damaging it. Dew settles on things. An overhead cover provides protection. A plastic bag around the camera, but not sealed, should be sufficient.

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

I bought a cheap shower cap to put over it.

#6 mashirts

mashirts

Messenger

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Yeah. Plastic bag. 700 ft per second water vapor molecules get around. Eliminate or reduce how many there are.

#7 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:26 PM

How do you prevent condensation on your DSLR camera body when it is being used for astrophotography? 

When I shoot all night in the swamps here, I never get dew on the camera, because it heats up while taking exposures continuously.

Even if it gets dew on it, I wouldn't worry about it. My expertise comes from spending 40 years abusing cameras professionally. :-)

I would not put one underwater, not even a pro model, but a little dew is not going to hurt the camera.

Jerry

#8 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:16 AM

Yeah like Jerry says, dont worry about it, wont hurt it.

Ive imaged in december from rural coastal south west england (which is about as dewy as it gets in my experience) and the camera was fine after 3 all nighters on the trot.

When i say dewy i mean hairdryer to lens after 15 minutes dewy...yeah i know hot lenses arent great for image quality but they are better than no lens at all smile.gif

Edited by ChristopherBeere, 14 August 2019 - 03:17 AM.

#9 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

You may be able to get a rubber body cover for the camera.

#10 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

You may be able to get a rubber body cover for the camera.

I actually did order a silicone skin for the camera body, as well as a tempered glass screenprotector for the touchscreen.  But the skin doesn't cover the buttons and such.  It's more to protect the corners and edges against accidental drops and bumps than from moisture.

#11 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

Maybe a rainguard would work though?  Was thinking of getting one if I ever wanted to use the DSLR camera in the rain (but I already have a waterproof smartphone camera for that).  But I think they are designed to hold the lens as well, so may not work for prime-focus imaging with a telescope, and would be terrible for long-exposure imaging with a telephoto lens too.

But maybe something like a plastic bag with ventilation holes cut out to work similar to a dew shield or lapdome?

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 14 August 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#12 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

Dude, dont worry about it. Just go out and grab some data. Cameras are very resilient.

#13 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

I wouldn't worry about dew at all. In the past I used a grocery bag loosely over the camera to keep off dew. It is rarely necessary.  A silicone cover will prevent the camera from cooling down properly so that may not be the best solution in wet conditions.

Edited by calypsob, 14 August 2019 - 09:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics