•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problem connecting QHY163 to Sharpcap

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trwillyx

trwillyx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

I’m pretty much a rookie in astrophotography and trying to get my QHY163c running on Sharpcap. I have a ZWO ASI120 which starts on Sharpcap and immediately shows a ‘live’ view and previewing frames. When I connect the QHY nothing seems to be happening. I’m not really sure what I should be seeing or what adjustments to make to the settings to at least know the camera is working correctly.

I will provide some details on my setup with the hope someone can see a potential problem.

I’m running Sharpcap 3.2.6062. I have downloaded what I assume is the latest 163 driver, QHY5IIISeriesDriver190327win10.exe. The camera shows up in Device Manager as QHY5SeriesIII_IO with driver details of version 1.2.3.31 and date 2018-11-16.
When the camera is connected to Sharpcap it is listed under Cameras list as QHY163C. After selecting it there is a warning message about ‘not detecting a filter wheel (I don’t have one) while camera is initializing’. That message goes away but the screen remains black and the Previewing frames count remains at 0. The control settings for thermal cooling are responsive but other camera controls like gain, exposure, and USB traffic have no visible effect. The color space is RAW8, capture area 1024x768. If I try to change the capture area or binning the application crashes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Tom

#2 trwillyx

trwillyx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Thanks to all who took the time to read my post. It was determined that the camera is definitely defective, so there was no problem with the way the software was setup.

I'm not sure if I can close this thread or it has to be done by an administrator but the topic is closed.

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics