•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will this "cheater" AC cord work?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

http://amzn.com/B00CLHH0J4

Need a non-polarized cord for my 1968 Duplex.

#2 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:28 PM

Very probably not.

#3 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:36 PM

Very probably not.

Why not?

#4 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:43 AM

Because it won't fit. The cord on the Questar is an old size.
  • Johninuk likes this

#5 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

As long as the pins line up and they are the same size, it might work. You may have to trim the plastic with a knife to make it fit. A few years ago I was looking for that same cord and found it online somewhere, but I don't remember where, but someone does make the same exact Questar cord. You may put up a post here that you are looking for one and somebody might send you one. 

• JamesMStephens likes this

#6 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. Well I definitely need one so if anyone has a link to a compatible one or has a spare they can sell hit me up!

#7 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

As long as the pins line up and they are the same size, it might work. You may have to trim the plastic with a knife to make it fit. A few years ago I was looking for that same cord and found it online somewhere, but I don't remember where, but someone does make the same exact Questar cord. You may put up a post here that you are looking for one and somebody might send you one. 

Same experience--I bought a replacement "cheater cord" online a couple of years ago and can't where I bought it!

#8 LKSM12

LKSM12

Lift Off

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

I just picked up a polarized one at the factory 2 weeks ago and I think it was $8. Jim actually went into the factory building to get one for me.
  • terraclarke likes this

#9 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

I called Questar, they sell a kit with a replacement cord and a new plug-n-play polarized receptacle for $16 total shipped. That was easy!
  • terraclarke and RMay like this

#10 BobStarr

BobStarr

Lift Off

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:26 PM

If anyone is looking for a non-polarized power cord for an older model Questar, some coiled electric shaver A/C cords work just fine.  I have been using them for years and a side benefit of being coiled is that they can help keep things tidy by keeping it as short as possible.  

• terraclarke likes this

#11 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

I wanted an extra cord so as to keep my original one nicely wound in its pristine condition. (Yes, I know. I’m fussy like that! wink.gif ) So after much research I found one online that I thought would fit. It looked very much like my original. I ordered one a couple of months ago. When it came, I found that it would not work. Here’s what you need to know in order to get the right one:

1. The size and shape of the receptacle on the cord that plugs into the hole in the questar base.
  2. Is it polarized?
  3. Spacing between centers of prongs.
  4. The diameter of the prongs. (This is a biggie and it needs to be exact!)

There is a great deal of variation in these four factors amongst cords. No such thing as standardization it seems. Also, Questar changed their own cords several times over the years. Long story short. I gave up looking after getting the wrong one; the once bitten, twice shy thing. Anyway, after that, I discovered the perfect workaround. And it’s so simple. I have just enough length/play in the two loose ends of my original coiled cord, that I can plug the one end into the Questar and the other into an extension cord. So the coiled cord remains intact and when not in use, it stays in the little leather pocket in my Questar’s case; just the way it came. When in use, it remains coiled and just acts as an adapter.

Edited by terraclarke, 17 August 2019 - 01:52 PM.

• cbwerner and JamesMStephens like this

#12 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

Here’s what you need to know in order to get the right one:

1. The size and shape of the receptacle on the cord that plugs into the hole in the questar base.
  2. Is it polarized?
  3. Spacing between centers of prongs.
  4. The diameter of the prongs. (This is a biggie and it needs to be exact!)

Terra, do you know the correct answers to the 4 questions? It would be great for us to be able to document this here. :)

#13 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:40 PM

Terra, do you know the correct answers to the 4 questions? It would be great for us to be able to document this here. smile.gif

I do but there is variation between Questar model years so there is no one size fits all unfortunately.

#14 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, that sucks. :lol:

But if you find the time to post on even a specific variant, that would be good archival information.

Mine is a PGII, so I lack the ability to contribute to this topic. crazy.gif

#15 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

My understanding is that Questar has had only two AC cord configurations. The decades of the unpolarized and the modern polarized.
  • terraclarke likes this

#16 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

My understanding is that Questar has had only two AC cord configurations. The decades of the unpolarized and the modern polarized.

That’s good to know. I was under the impression that there were several variations.

#17 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

Here is the thread I started some months back about my quest for an extra cord. Dimensions, types, and sources are listed.

https://www.cloudyni...hl= power cord

#18 jragsdale

jragsdale

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

$16 shipped from Questar. #nobrainer

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190822_150216-756x1008.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#19 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

If my cord or socket ever needs replacing I'll replace it with a more robust, standard, grounded C13 - C14 cord and socket. As used on computer monitors and electric tea kettles. I've already replaced the plug on the cord with a standard UK plug (paying attention to polarity) because none of my UK-US adapters could handle the wide splay-ended blade on the original cord.

Edited by munirocks, 23 August 2019 - 07:38 AM.

• JamesMStephens likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics