•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone use a C11 for deep sky?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magsterone

magsterone

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, AL

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Just curious.  I have a 80mm and 127mm refractor that I use for dso's and have had my c11 for years and would like to use it on occasion for astrophotography of solar, planets and dso's.  I have an asi1600mm with filter wheel.  I have gotten away from visual but on occasion would like to use it still for that.  I have a 10u mount on a pier so that should be ok for this.  Any experiences or thoughts on using a C11 for astrophotography would be appreciated.  Not willing to give it up as it is really nice for visual when I use it (rare though).  I know if I sold it I would hate myself. ;)  Anyway, thanks and hope to hear from y'all.
Joe in Mobile

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

With a 0.63 reducer, it could be a good scope for the smaller, more mysterious DSO's.  Need autoguiding, though.

#3 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

I've used natively at 2800mm with an ASI1600. I think it performs pretty well. Obviously need good tracking and guiding though. This is an early effort with crappy focus, sure I could improve on it now :)

get.jpg?insecure

• Gregory and rockstarbill like this

#4 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:44 AM

I've used natively at 2800mm with an ASI1600. I think it performs pretty well. Obviously need good tracking and guiding though. This is an early effort with crappy focus, sure I could improve on it now smile.gif

Good to see you back, Tony.  waytogo.gif

#5 LPA

LPA

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

Yes! I use the ASI1600MM-cool with my EdgeHD11+0.7x FF/FR. It is especially great for galaxies and planetary nebulae. For example, here is a down-sized image of the Deer LIck group taken with this combo (original is 4200x3000). It's always fun to look for small background galaxies in these images.

http://www.remotesen...GBc1smaller.jpg

and another shot of the Dumbbell with the same setup:

http://www.remotesen...l_LRGBsmall.jpg

Larry

#6 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Ranger 4

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

Your biggest issue will be finding enough guide stars with your OAG...  With my C925HD the only workable solution that produced consistent results was to use the Celestron OAG with its large 12mm x 12mm prism in combination with the ASI174mm mini guide camera with it's large sensor.  I was using the ASI290mm mini but with it's much smaller sensor (almost 5x smaller than the ASI174) I was lucky to pick up one guide star per session, and it was not reliable.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics