•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M39 – Open Cluster in Cygnus – ASI294MC Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

Telescope: Meade N6 at f/5, Baader Mk III MPCC, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: ZWO ASI294MC Pro, 10C; Gain: 200
Filter: Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter
Guide scope: Williams Optics 50mm, Meade DSI Pro II, PHD
Exposure: 60x60sec saved as FITS
Darks: 32x60sec saved as FITS
Flats: 32x10sec, LED tracing tablet covered with 3 layers of muslin
Average Light Pollution: Red zone, poor transparency
Lensed Sky Quality Meter: 18.3 mag/arc-sec^2
Stacking: Mean with a 2-sigma clip.
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Nebulosity, Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop

M39 (7-19-2019)-1j.jpg

M39 is a large open cluster lying 9 degrees northeast of Deneb. Although sparse, its large size and relatively bright stars makes it is a nice target for binoculars and small telescopes.

• Gregory, eros312, PeteM and 2 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:23 AM

Star clusters don't get enough respect in astrophotography and I congratulate you on your fine effort (sharp, with a neutral background, and a mix of star colors). However, I wonder why you used such a high gain and long exposure, since that may have compromised the color saturation in the stars.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

Using a gain of 200 is my standard setting for the ASI294MC Pro and I chose 60 seconds as a balance between over-exposing the foreground stars and losing the background stars. The transparency was poor with lots of brilliant moonlight, so I was happy with the result. Actually, I was hoping to get better diffraction spikes on the bright stars, but I would have had to push the processing a lot harder to bring them up more than I show here. We only get about 50 clear nights a years (read that as 1 per week, 4 per month) and we rarely get 2 clear nights in a row, so we don't have a lot of time to sweat the details. Grab'n go is the norm. If we get a lucky stretch of clear nights I may go back and revisit a target, both those are generally reserved for special projects (and I don't get a lot of sleep :) ).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics