•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A night on the Wall (NGC7000)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GiorgioF

GiorgioF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

Hi to everyone.
After long time, due to bad weather, the rust was brush away from the mount and the telescope start to work again. smile.gif
I would like to propose this version of the detail of the Wall in NGC7000.
10+10 light in Ha and O3, both 240" (200/50 gain) on the ASI1600mm mounted on a 80ED full focal length.
Taken from my Bortle 8 to 9 backyard, in a warm summer night, cooling the sensor to -15°C.
The eq5 was aimed east and the guiding was terrible on both ar and Dec. Especially Dec was with a evident sinusoids. Once flip the meridian, the guiding start to look like a billiard table: flat and smooth like never. The balance of telescope was with classical "east heavy". But I guess something else I need to investigate...
Anyway, here the result after processing the frames in PI and a little in PS.
As usual, I would like to get constructive criticism and any suggestions.
A lot I learn from this forum and experience sharing.
Many thanks and regards!

Attached Thumbnails

• Muro_SHO_01_jpg-1600x1325.jpg

• Gregory, Mert, james7ca and 4 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:36 AM

That looks good for just 40 minutes on each channel (10 x 240s). Are you sure that you are at an inner-city light pollution level? That usually means a white zone on a light pollution map, like something from downtown L.A. or New York City.

I think you did a good job on the processing, a light touch and not overdone. The star size and shape also looks good and you've just barely begun to resolve the double star that is nearest to the brightest portion of the "wall" on the right side of the image (that's a good sign). I do miss, however, having any color in the stars (that could be from the gain/exposure and as always high levels of light pollution aren't good for color).

#3 GiorgioF

GiorgioF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

@james hehehe, my city is similar to a small (very small) portion of LA or NY. Take a look on Italy map, just north of Venice. It's one of the most light polluted area in Europe and apps show my area at 8 Bortle.
But thank you for the kind words and appreciations. I didn't note the double star you mentioned but looking carefully, you are right. It will be a target to aim for a better result.
About the stars color, maybe I should use some lrgb frame, what do you think? Or use a DSLR to catch the color and add it to the final NB image?
I think I will try both solutions and also a more long integration as soon as my sky will be better. Now, cloudy again.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics