•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So I picked up a 60x910 Monolux 4380 today for 20 bucks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scrufy

scrufy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:43 PM

It’s complete, ATL on the objective. GEM has both extended slow controls and everything seems to be there except the wooden case has most of the inserts broken and loose, some in pieces.

it needs a good regrease as its a bit hard to turn but focuser is smooth and all axis rotate just fine albeit with a little friction. The kind that just needs grease replaced, not metal on metal.

its is pretty poor shape cosmetically with scratches all over the tube and the spotting scope is really scratched up but no dings.

its a nice complement to my shorter Selsi 60mm.

I was just wondering if I should try and restore it.

Mount is gray wrinkle finish and scratch free. Just the tubes are scraped/scratched all over.

More just curious if anyone can tell me if I was to repaint, do I just take the objective and back off then seal the tube and sand/primer/paint like anything else with rattle cans or is there a trick I should be aware of. Have lots of experience with repainting thing like motorcycle parts but never tried a telescope. I’ve been using the same Selsi for 20 years.(its circa 1965 and was handed down to me.

i’m probably happy to use it as is though too.

thanks for any advise.

Edited by scrufy, 13 August 2019 - 11:45 PM.

• skiiman10, Pete W, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:18 AM

Absolutely worth restoring, those can be really great scopes. If you can do motorcycle parts, re-painting this should be easy. It sounds like a solid plan, but you might want to wait for the experts to chime in. There are some truly amazing telescope restorers here.

• retroman2 and shredder1656 like this

#3 walter a

walter a

Messenger

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:31 AM

Nice find, great price. I cleaned up a Polaroscope clone of your Monolux last year. Good luck with your project.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1318 (370x640).jpg
  • DSCN1319 (640x480).jpg

Edited by walter a, 14 August 2019 - 06:31 AM.

• Marc-Andre, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#4 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

I had the 1958  version  of this same scope    it has  great optics for a 60mm

I regret not having it anymore   but I will never regret donating it to a new bee  who needed it

I have not done any painting of telescopes  but some folks here in some threads describe various paints that match various scopes   and some have even mentioned taking the ota  to an autobody place

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 14 August 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#5 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

More just curious if anyone can tell me if I was to repaint, do I just take the objective and back off then seal the tube and sand/primer/paint like anything else with rattle cans or is there a trick I should be aware of. Have lots of experience with repainting thing like motorcycle parts but never tried a telescope. 

That can work. I've used appliance epoxy, which gives a nice finish, but needs some time to cure (despite what the can says). I use the tube itself to cut a pair of plugs from some 2" styrofoam, then drill a hole through the center of each plug, and run a long dowel through them, while they are inserted in the ends of the tube (mask off any threads). Then I can spin it like a rotisserie, on a pair of sawhorses, while painting, to keep it even. After I'm done, I keep spinning it until the paint sets up, to avoid any sagging. 

Other people have had theirs powder coated, which also gives a very nice finish. I just don't have anyone local who I would trust to do a good job. 

Chip W. 

• Marc-Andre and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6 scrufy

scrufy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I took a close look at it after work today and since the objective unscrews so easily as a unit and the draw tube and everything is so eask to take out with a couple screws I’ll follow the advice here and make some styrofoam plugs and sand it down then primer it.
I did see the thread today with the spray can color match so I’ll see if I can find the rustoleum locally.

i do have some foam from a tv carton waiting to get thrown away.

thanks again !

Edited by scrufy, 14 August 2019 - 08:52 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7 scrufy

scrufy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

This morning I finally had some time.

took out the objective and disassembled it and gave a thourough cleaning of both sides of both lenses with distilled water and rubbing alcohol. *note there were no alignment marks on the edges so I took a fine sharpie and made 3 pairs of small dots for realignment. Maybe it doesn’t matter on this lense set but I didn’t want to take a chance.

Took apart and cleaned then tried all the original eyepieces it came with(5) and the moon filter. 
It has the infamous shot in the eyeball sun filter intact so I wrapped it in paper and taped it up writing danger do not use on it. Just wanted it as a collectable to have. I put that in an envelope and wrote that it is designed wrong and gets hot on the magnified end and will break under use rendering the user blind-just in case some day a grandkid gets the telescope and finds it.

I figured I wanted to make sure I had a good working base before I went through a full restoration.

reassembled everything.

I lined up the finder and tried out the scope on a huge tree a couple blocks away.

both the old eyepieces and my half decent 1.25s with adapter worked great. Very clear and lots of contrast.

can’t wait for dark tonight to try it out and if it works as well as I think it will I’ll be tearing it down again for sand and repaint.

There is one issue:

The round can that flips the image changes the focal length and makes it impossible to focus with my adapter and newer eyepieces. Same for T adapter and my dslr. Only the original eyepieces will focus so I’m guessing its right on the edge and having that extra little bit of length from the adapter added to the erecting prism is too much.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix that please let me know but I’m fine with upside down haha.

Edited by scrufy, 18 August 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#8 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

My 1964 Monolux 4380 came with 2 gloss gray (matched the OTA hardware) extension tubes:

Monolux 4380 S99 - Accessories 3.jpg

At least 1 attached to the Porro Prism for terrestrial use.  Vixen made & sold black anodized versions about 20 years later -- but they are very hard to find.

• terraclarke likes this

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

I had a nice 1962 made by Astro Optical that I gave to a friend.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00372AE9-6231-4009-9611-972AD07D856D.jpeg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 scrufy

scrufy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

Ok thanks for confirming. I’m glad I was on the right track and not something I messed up aligning the lenses or something.

I thought that was what was going on but I just wasn’t sure.

I’m still ok with it, it’s a little harder to get on some objects upside down but other than that, which way is up in space anyway?

lol.gif 
Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

I’ll post some pictures if I can get them on flikr or somewhere else. My google photos share doesn’t work for some reason.

Edited by scrufy, 18 August 2019 - 09:23 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics