•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Lobster in NV (Photo)

EAA NV
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

While I was recently in Nevada for NV observing, I took a photo of NGC 6357, the Lobster Nebula in Scorpius, using my 8" Newt with MPCC and 12nm H-a filter, ISO 6400, 1/3 second exposure, averaged for 15s in my iPhone XR using NightCap Camera.  This image has been cropped and compressed to fit here; no other processing.  

Here is a link to a NASA post of the Lobster with some great information and a beautiful long-exposure image:  https://apod.nasa.go...d/ap181226.html

DISCLAIMER: Taking images is different than the visual use of NV.  It is more akin to EAA because with my phone, I use up to 1 second exposures and automatic electronic photo averaging for results.  With my Fujifilm XT30 camera, I take up to 20 second single exposures.  If you have no interest in these results, please just skip this thread.  Photo results differ from using NV visually, although it is reportedly possible to get this type of image visually, using certain fast telescopes with extreme focal reduction using very narrow band filters.  

IMG_E5081.jpeg

• Jeff Morgan, Doug Culbertson, Eddgie and 12 others like this

#2 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Nice image Ray. You captured the Klingon D7!

• GeezerGazer likes this

#3 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Great stuff Ray!

I can’t get this object from London but did observe it from Tenerife last year with my tv85, nv monoculars and 55mm plossl in afocal mode. Here is my smaller scale image of it from that visit, 30 second exposure with my huawei phone.

I’m returning to Tenerife later in the summer so am looking forward to seeing the lobster again!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3B3C1F73-AE46-4CF5-87AC-614F02367E9E.jpeg

• GeezerGazer, Doug Culbertson, Starman27 and 4 others like this

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

Both excellent shots!

#5 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Gavster for posting your image.  It shows how different optics perform on such targets, which I think is helpful to others wondering if their TV 85 would be sufficient with NV... and it IS!  Great image.  You'll probably have your 92mm in Tenerife this year?  Ah, Tenerife... the Canary Islands... how much better could it possibly get?  Your photo also shows the Klingon ship at warp one.

Jeff, yes, the Klingon ship is there!  lol.gif   When is your Sky Window going to be operational?  I know, the paint is still drying...

• Gavster likes this

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:02 PM

Jeff, yes, the Klingon ship is there!  lol.gif   When is your Sky Window going to be operational?  I know, the paint is still drying...

Glad to know I am not the only Trekkie Nerd out there ...

On the SkyWindow ... started peeling off the male stencils today. OMG is this a complicated pattern! Major Leagues, while skill set is more like T-Ball. It is called Prym1, Pattern DT. It is supposed to look like this:

https://www.duracoat...t=1714871369737

Mine came out looking more like a German Panzer. Call it "Afrika Korps". Oh well, Erwin Rommel is one of my favorite historical figures (behind George Patton). 

I'll try touching it up with the female stencils. Probably sand it all down and try again in the spring. Keeps me out of the bars.

Either way, the platform will be ready at new moon. Too many large Sharpless objects need seeing about now. Isn't NV great?

• GeezerGazer likes this

#7 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:20 AM

Thanks Gavster for posting your image.  It shows how different optics perform on such targets, which I think is helpful to others wondering if their TV 85 would be sufficient with NV... and it IS!  Great image.  You'll probably have your 92mm in Tenerife this year?  Ah, Tenerife... the Canary Islands... how much better could it possibly get?  Your photo also shows the Klingon ship at warp one.

Ray, I’ll be taking my 95mm Baader with me. It is faster than the Stowaway and also has more infocus so means I can use my 41mm panoptic with the 0.75x rc reducer (this combo doesn’t come to focus with the Stowaway)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics