•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn Occultation 12th August

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doolsduck

doolsduck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:03 AM

A couple of iPhone photos of the ingress and egress of Saturn.  Saturn occultation of 12th August 2019.  Celestron 4SE, 5mm Starguider eyepiece, iPhone SE, Nightcap app.

Attached Thumbnails

• saturnoccult - 1.jpg
  • saturnoccult - 2.jpg

• zjc26138, sfugardi, james7ca and 8 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:41 AM

I wondered how I could have missed this and then I saw (with Sky Safari Pro) that it wasn't visible from my location. Closest approach was after moonset and Saturn passed to the north of the moon. I guess you are further south and west than I am. It looks like all of this year's occultations of Saturn have been southern hemisphere events (mostly). Although on March 1 of this year Saturn passed very close to the moon at about noon my local time (and very low in the sky).

Thanks for reminding me once again about what we in the northern hemisphere are missing this year in terms of planetary photography (just kidding).

• doolsduck likes this

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:45 AM

Very nice catch.  I was also about to be very disappointed, until realizing it wasn't visible for me!

• doolsduck likes this

#4 doolsduck

doolsduck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:44 AM

Thanks James, Thanks Tom.  Yes we are lucky downunder with winter oppositions of Saturn and Jupiter and these occultations. I'm Brisbane.

#5 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:38 AM

Very nicely catch...and even terrific when reading how you done it!

• doolsduck likes this

#6 doolsduck

doolsduck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:47 AM

Very nicely catch...and even terrific when reading how you done it!

Thank you.  I use a phone adaptor, and with that and relatively bright objects it is pretty easy really. The hardest part was judging when to start the video of the actual ingress so that I didn't use up memory before it was complete or it started ingress on the dark limb before starting video. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics