•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn with 6" TPO Newtonian, August 11, 2019

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:43 AM

I had set up with my larger scope on Friday night, and got burned, both by clouds and poor seeing.  After only a single capture on the Moon, clouds came in and I didn't even get to attempt Saturn.  Not wanting to get burned twice, I didn't even bother with the C9.25 on Saturday night, and instead only set up my 6" Newtonian (TPO brand).  I have detailed this scope before on the Moon as an inexpensive scope of good quality.  I was able to image the Moon (which I might post later) and then, because the clouds held off, I decided to try Saturn, since I had never used this scope for any planets.  For once, the increased power of the Televue 2x barlow in combination with the ZWO ADC (becomes a 3x barlow) was an advantage on this f/6 scope.  I measured the image and the effective focal ratio was f/18.3, which is basically perfect sampling for the ASI224mc.  The image below is from a single 6 minute capture, which was the best of eight captures.  It is presented at 150% capture scale, as I wasn't sure how the small image would present in the forum.  The image is small, but I was not disappointed in the outcome.  

Saturn_August_11_2019_TG.png

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., Asbytec and 13 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:56 AM

Tom, that's very nice, you did a really good job on the color.

• PirateMike likes this

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:56 AM

Beautiful image for a "small" scope. Goes to prove how an expert can make any equipment work to the optimum amount.

Andrew.

Edited by Tulloch, 14 August 2019 - 02:58 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:56 AM

Great result

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the comments James, Andrew, and Kevin.  I think there is still some room for improvement if conditions had been a bit better, but overall I can't complain for the 6 inch.  My only other Saturn image this year was with the C9.25, and although that image is superior to this one, it also was not quite up to the potential of the aperture.  It will be a number of years though before Saturn gets to favorable elevations, so we'll have to take what we can get for now.  

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

...had a look at those Moon piks again Tom to re-familiarise myself - both them & this Saturn are very nice! I was hoping to see a pik of the scope also! ;)

#7 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Well, this image is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, I'm ordering my ASI224MC as I type.

One question, since I will need an IR-block filter with it, is the ZWO brand one good enough?

Thanks, 

Andrew

• gfstallin likes this

#8 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Darryl!  I'll update with a few pics of the scope and imaging train when I get a chance.

Andrew, yes the ZWO UV/IR cut filter is the exact filter that I use.  Given that you are producing very high quality results with your DSLR, I think you will be happy with the upgrade to a dedicated planetary camera.  Especially since you have the planets high overhead right now.  Take every advantage while you can!

• Tulloch likes this

#9 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:03 AM

Andrew, yes the ZWO UV/IR cut filter is the exact filter that I use.  Given that you are producing very high quality results with your DSLR, I think you will be happy with the upgrade to a dedicated planetary camera.  Especially since you have the planets high overhead right now.  Take every advantage while you can!

Thanks Tom, ordered them today smile.gif .

Now I need to learn how to use the camera, find the best settings in Firecapture, work out new sharpening settings in Registax, I feel like I'm starting again confused1.gif . It might take a while before I'm getting better results with the new setup, but I feel confident that my best with the 224 will be better than my best with the DSLR.

Andrew

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics