•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader prism diagonal - EP stop + TV barlow = scratched prism?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:06 AM

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a premium 2" diagonal and the Baader Clicklock Zeiss prism model has caught my eye. My one reservation (other than the insane price) is the lack of an EP stop, per Bill P's excellent write-up.

Can anyone who has experience with this diagonal let me know if this is something to be concerned about? I occasionally use 1.25" EPs with a 1.25" TV 2x barlow (~15 years old, not sure if they've changed) and the last thing I want is to scratch the prism of a $500 diagonal.

FWIW I usually use a TV Equalizer, which is a hi-hat style adapter, but will occasionally use a non-elevating adapter too. 

Thanks,

Nick

PS It seems strange to me that Baader would exclude an EP stop from their most premium diagonal, when they're included on all (?) of their less expensive models. What could be the rationale for this?

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

Are you talking about a stop for 2" barrels? There is no 2" diagonal that has a stop for a 1.25" barlow, so it's up to you to determine.

It will depend on the height of the 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter being used.

FWIW, my 1.25" barlows do not protrude into the 2" diagonals I have, but some barlows are different. 

Measure the length of the smooth barrel on your 1.25" barlow and report back.

Edited by SteveG, 14 August 2019 - 01:17 PM.

#3 MGD

MGD

Mariner 2

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:35 AM

According to the review it's the t2 Zeiss prism that doesn't have an eyepiece stop not the  2 inch Zeiss prism. Of course as mentioned above its up to you to make sure a 1.25 barrel doesn't protrude through the adapter you choose.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics