•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First night running EKOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Ok I tried EKOS/Kstars out under the sky for the first time last night. I put a virtual machine on my windows 7 laptop (Ubuntu using VMware Workstation player, which I prefer over Virtualbox). I used a QSI 640. I’m only using a Skyguider Pro so I did not interface a telescope mount, just the camera. It worked very well! I really like the EKOS interface, it seems very intuitive for me. The frame and focus was nice. The sequencer Worked well with no issues (on par with SGP I think). I controlled my virtual machine using a VNC reader from inside the house, it was nice. If anyone is curious, Liveview with my Nikon D750 worked flawlessly as well with EKOS. The motivation is to use a raspberry Pi to control the cameras and use VNC to control using my iPhone or iPad, I wonder if I can get it to work by connecting to the Rpi directly over a virtual access point, like a poor mans ASIair that can work with QSI cameras. I want things portable (which is why I went with a Skyguider Pro). If anything, it would be a fun project.
  • psandelle and dmcnally like this

#2 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

By the way, I have no pictures to show for! The weather was not being my friend, there was a lot of random clouds entering all of my frames.

#3 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

A couple of recommendations based on what you're looking to do:  hold off just a bit until kstars/ekos runs on the Raspberry Pi 4.  Stellarmate is the "commercial" version of kstars/ekos and they already have a beta version for RPi4.  If you want to VNC to the device, you'll want the power of the Pi4.  For around $50, the Stellarmate image is really a no-brainer; just burn it onto an sdcard, pop it into the Pi and boot up.  It creates it's own hotspot to connect to.  The license will also allow you to use the iOS app for your iPad.  Very neat, compact, powerful package.

• Der_Pit likes this

#4 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for the suggestion! I may do that. Everything works fine with the laptop and I don’t mind taking a laptop around so I am not hurting for the RPi right now. I would love to operate the RPi as a full computer so it may be best to wait for the RPi 4 version. With Stellarmate, can I connect directly to it over a WiFi hotspot using a VNC viewer (as opposed to having it connect over the internet), this is for if I’m out in the field, my home WiFi only goes out to my porch.

#5 richorn

richorn

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

With Stellarmate, can I connect directly to it over a WiFi hotspot using a VNC viewer (as opposed to having it connect over the internet), this is for if I’m out in the field, my home WiFi only goes out to my porch.

I purchased the complete StellarMate device for just that purpose. Isn’t quite there yet for me, as running on the current Pi hardware is a bit slow and I have INDI issues. 

That said, the hot spot and VNC work great!

#6 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

A couple of recommendations based on what you're looking to do:  hold off just a bit until kstars/ekos runs on the Raspberry Pi 4.  Stellarmate is the "commercial" version of kstars/ekos and they already have a beta version for RPi4.  If you want to VNC to the device, you'll want the power of the Pi4.  For around $50, the Stellarmate image is really a no-brainer; just burn it onto an sdcard, pop it into the Pi and boot up.  It creates it's own hotspot to connect to.  The license will also allow you to use the iOS app for your iPad.  Very neat, compact, powerful package.

Someone on the INDI forums has already written a script to install KStars/EKOS and all dependencies on the RP4. Lot of people are having success with that until there’s an official Stellarmate install.

#7 sbradley07

sbradley07

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

Someone on the INDI forums has already written a script to install KStars/EKOS and all dependencies on the RP4. Lot of people are having success with that until there’s an official Stellarmate install.

I've been following those efforts.  Pi 4's are just now becoming available again after the initial frenzy of its release in June.  Gonna order one soon and start tinkering with the Stellarmate beta.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics