•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Welcome back, old friend.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

Every year without fail it has become somewhat of a ritual for me here on CN to post the moment I see Orion the first time.  In recent years it comes early in the morning as I walk my dog, the sight in the sky almost mimicking the sight on the ground.

For many, Orion is a favorite.  The most easily recognizable constellation, it yields one of the most beautiful Nebulas.  But its much more than that.  Its a promise of cooler weather, crisper and clearer nights and more time imaging or observing.  Its a farewell to galaxy season and hello to the treasures of the fall and winter sky.

I look forward to Orion rising every year. 

• CollinofAlabama, Mike Lynch, REC and 10 others like this

#2 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:34 AM

I must say it is a nice sight seeing Orion come back, I saw it while imaging the other night. Can't wait for those 20 degree nights again, I hate the heat.

• Seanem44 likes this

#3 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

It's amazing how many people I'm seeing posting about seeing Orion rising in the morning this time of year.

But it really is an experience.  I remember my first early morning session last year and seeing Orion coming up around 4:00 a.m.  It was the first time I saw M42 in a telescope.  It was an experience I'll never forget.

• Seanem44 and CosmoNewt like this

#4 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

I will never forget the first time I saw the constellation of Orion. Early in the morning before school in September 1977.  I stepped outside on to our back patio and looked up, due South, slightly above the oak trees, there it was in all it's glory. It's been a favorite sight ever sense.

M42 came later that year with my first telescope a vintage '77 C-8. Good times.

• Seanem44 likes this

#5 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

I stayed up through a whole sleeper train journey to Italy when I was maybe 12 sometime in August,looking out of the window at the moonlit scenery - and then watched Orion peak up over some mountains as the sky started to turn dark blue....Ahhhhhhhh memories.

• Seanem44 likes this

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, I opened this thread and I thought to myself, "didn't I read this before?"  Then I found this: https://www.cloudyni...iend/?p=8768070

lol.gif

I love it, though!  It's a nice tradition!  But it reminds me that I haven't seen the Horsehead nebula (B33) yet.  Maybe I can scheme a way to get out to Cherry Springs on a new moon night this fall when the weather forecast looks good.  That, and I'd like to see if I can see the Rosette nebula (NGC 2237) in Monoceros as it rises behind Orion.

#7 joelcindyclark

joelcindyclark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The foothills of Mt. Rainier, Washington, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

I spotted Betelgeuse and Bellatrix with Capella above, about a week ago during a clear morning sunrise.  This morning was the first time it was clear enough to the southeast to look for it again...I spotted Betelgeuse and Capella again but was having difficulty finding the rest and things seemed "off".  Sunrise was approaching out so I figured it was simply too light out.  It was then that I realized "Betelgeuse" was actually Rigel, and "Capella" was actually Betelgeuse!  The entire Orion constellation was in view. This time of year, with the sunrise happening later and later, Orion really appears to rise up fast in the twilight.  

Apparently, I need more coffee before I stargaze before heading to work. 

• Seanem44 likes this

#8 trapdoor2

trapdoor2

Mariner 2

• Loc: Nawth Alabama

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

I am certainly looking forward to seeing Orion again during those cool, crisp nights. As a kid, I could never really find anything but the big dipper and Polaris...maybe Cassiopea as it is a fairly compact one with a fairly recognizable structure. I remember Dad pointing out Betelgeuse but I could not understand how he knew which one it was (and I had trouble following his pointing finger to the right star). I could not (and still can't) see any color to it. He had extraordinary acuity and said it was very red, like a beacon to him.

Miz Diane and I got our first dog in 1987 and I've always been the one to take the dog out for the last time before bed. Since that first dog, Orion has been a welcome companion. I even bought a small planisphere back then, so that I could identify other stars and constellations. Oddly, I never considered getting a scope. confused1.gif 

#9 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• Loc: NC

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

Orion is the most recognizable and beautiful part of the sky, and it is nice that it is in the winter sky, no sweat or mosquitoes.

Edited by grif 678, 15 August 2019 - 02:50 PM.

• Seanem44 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics