•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Key West Night Sky Observing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

Hello all,

A coworker is going on a two week trip to Key West, talking to me he got interested to view the night sky up there (he is not a astronomy hobbyist). Are there any good spots or observatory over in key west he can go to or contact someone who can help them with night sky viewing? He has a son who is also interested in viewing the night sky from up there, any tips, suggestions or pointers will help them a lot. Thank you in advance.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#2 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

I recall bringing my Meade 2080lx2  down to the keys for Haley's comet  back in 1986

Key West was fun   but  we left and drove back up the keys  a bit to find a small island with nothing on it

It was  a much darker site than Key West   

there must be folks down there looking up  at night     i'm sure someone will point you to the right place

p.s     I know you know this but I learned that  Binoculars are a must  as the seeing can be very good

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 14 August 2019 - 09:25 AM.

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

List of Florida clubs.

No idea which, if any, locations are relevant.

At the end are 2 dark sky sites, suppose more but those are recognised as such, also guess not where person is going.

#4 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Key West itself is buildings 6 feet apart and lit-up like sports stadiums. It is not dark even a 3AM.  Big Pine Key or Cedar key will be better light conditions and is not a long drive.

#5 denny-o

denny-o

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hemlock, mi

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

After posting I did a quick google and came up with this one reference which named the keys I suggested. We were down there in March and I was just going from memory.

https://www.tripstod...ing-in-florida/

#6 RRMichigan

RRMichigan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

You may wish to try the sidewalk area at the Southernmost point. You will have a completely unobstructed dark view of the east and south sky over the Atlantic Ocean side and some of the west sky over the Gulf.(The North is over Key West proper and may be too bright). You may want to go later at night to avoid all the tourists posing in front of the Southernmost Point Buoy. People tend to walk around late in Key West. There are a few small manmade beaches there (no natural beach sand in the Keys, it is brought in) too but how late you can be on them I cannot say. Perhaps there are no restrictions? I have been to Key West many times, but never once to the beach. The Keys are not known for beaches. Perhaps Mallory Square as another option, but then again, not sure if they will scamper you off from there too after midnight. But I am sure one could eventually find a spot easily.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics