•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking for Vixen Porta II?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

I understand there used to be a motorized tracking system for Porta IIs. Not sure that it or any after market solution still exists. Anybody have auto tracking on this mount?

Edited by pdxmoon, 14 August 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

I’m planning on adding tracking to the Porta myself. I originally considered two axis tracking in alt-az with the use of two stepper motors and an Arduino nano to deal with the logic.

But after some consideration, I’m thinking of putting the Porta on a mini wedge and just motorizing the az axis. It’ll be a bit difficult to do with the shape of the Porta mount head, so I’m replacing the large right angle arm with a more compact one. I should be done with the arm replacement this weekend. Adding motors is a future thought.

Edited by Cometeer, 14 August 2019 - 12:46 PM.

#3 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

You are obviously a lot more adventuresome than I am!  Good luck with this conversion--please post pics.

I guess there's no out of the box solution. Maybe the one from years ago is no longer available because it doesn't work, haha.

I’m planning on adding tracking to the Porta myself. I originally considered two axis tracking in alt-az with the use of two stepper motors and an Arduino nano to deal with the logic.

But after some consideration, I’m thinking of putting the Porta on a mini wedge and just motorizing the az axis. It’ll be a bit difficult to do with the shape of the Porta mount head, so I’m replacing the large right angle bracket with a more compact one. I should be done with the arm replacement this weekend. Adding motors is a future thought.

• Cometeer likes this

#4 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

There is (was?) a system for the Porta II, but I don't know if it is made anymore.  I saw a few for sale in the classifieds a couple years ago, and I contacted one of the sellers to ask about it.  He said it worked for maybe 10 minutes at a time before you had to train it again, and he was getting rid of it because it was "too fiddly".

https://www.bhphotov...System_for.html

If you have your heart set on one, you could place a WANTED ad in the Classifieds.

Good luck.

Edited by cookjaiii, 14 August 2019 - 12:32 PM.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I understand there used to be a motorized tracking system for Porta IIs. Not sure that it or any after market solution still exists. Anybody have auto tracking on this mount?

Well, I have the JMI Train-N-Trak, on the Vixen Porta 2, and it's really quite nice! I'd say it's most useful for the sun and moon, because each time you re-point the scope, you have to "retrain" the gizmo... which takes a lot longer than the few seconds that they indicate --- It's more like a few minutes! But for solar, where you will be only on that one object for a long time, and imaging exposures are almost instantaneous... perfect! Ditto that for lunar. Nother fine use is when sketching through the eyepiece, or sharing the view with friends.

Ummm... Seems they no longer produce the thing. If I needed (another) one, I would plop down a few hundred bucks instantly!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 11 JMI TRAIN-N-TRACK 60 PORTA 2 VIXEN.jpg
  • 12 TRAIN-N-TRACK CONTROLLER 90.jpg

#6 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Well, I have the JMI Train-N-Trak, on the Vixen Porta 2, and it's really quite nice! I'd say it's most useful for the sun and moon, because each time you re-point the scope, you have to "retrain" the gizmo... which takes a lot longer than the few seconds that they indicate --- It's more like a few minutes! But for solar, where you will be only on that one object for a long time, and imaging exposures are almost instantaneous... perfect! Ditto that for lunar. Nother fine use is when sketching through the eyepiece, or sharing the view with friends.

Ummm... Seems they no longer produce the thing. If I needed (another) one, I would plop down a few hundred bucks instantly!    Tom

This is what the Vixen site used to sell. Alas, out of production. If they still made this, I'd be buying it TODAY.

Edited by pdxmoon, 14 August 2019 - 02:13 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics