•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smartphone camera app

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greg6498

Greg6498

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Glasgow, VA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

To those of you using smartphones for astrophotography...do you use the standard camera app or a specialized app?

#2 mike8888

mike8888

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

I’ve used Nightcap (iPhone) as have others. Very nice app! It helps to have a tripod or to steady the camera when shooting you’re image. 

• Greg6498 likes this

#3 Wild_Willie

Wild_Willie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

I just loaded the Nightcap app on my iphone 7. Does anyone know when you set it to shoot in 4k video if it automatically sets that in the phone or do you need to manually set it in the phones setup? Looks like a pretty cool app and I'm setting up to try using stacking of the video for photo's with the AutoStakkert and RegiStax 6 imaging software. Forgot to mention I also bought the Celestron NexYZ phone mount to help align the phone to the eye piece. I like the XYZ adjustments verses some that just clamp onto the eye piece.

Edited by Wild_Willie, 14 August 2019 - 10:50 PM.

• Greg6498 likes this

#4 SteelStar

SteelStar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:27 PM

I think just selecting 4K in app settings will control the native camera. But if you choose 4K @ 60 FPS it will save in “high efficiency “ (HEIF/HEVC) to reduce file size. Both 1080p @ 60fps and 4K @ 30fps will save as JPEG/H.264 formats. You have to convert files to AVI for use in RegiStax anyway. Just thought I’d mention that. I have shot in all these formats and what matters most is the sky conditions at the time. 1080p @ 30fps is just as good as 4K on same night I have found. Optics used and post processing with good sky conditions is what makes a great shot of planets. The native camera works fine for Moon and planets.

Where NightCap app excels is deep sky. Shots that aren’t possible with native camera “are” with NightCap. With latest 9.6 version release, they have doubled performance by unlocking 1 second exposure times for IPhone XS, XS Max or XR

Sorry earlier versions are not affected. You can check out my photo gallery to see some results I have gotten.

Clear skies

• Greg6498 likes this

#5 Wild_Willie

Wild_Willie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:15 AM

Pretty amazing photos for an iphone for sure. Do use AutoStakkert to convert to AVI or PIPP before using Registax? I'm all new to this and just viewed a few youtube video's on the the various software. Plan on taking the scope out this weekend for the first time with the iphone setup.

• Greg6498 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics