•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

eyepiece recommendations

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 liam_ventham

liam_ventham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK hamsphire

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

hello. I have recently got my telescope Orion xt8 plus fixed after a year since my Crayford focuser broke. then I realised I only have a 10mm Sirius plossi and a 28mm deep view eyepiece which had a lot of dust and had a scratch. I then setout to buy a protective case and 2 other eyepieces a 7.5mm and 12.5mm Sirius plossi. I then thought about it a lot when looking at the prices of eyepieces some where almost £90 per eyepiece other where £30 per eyepiece. hopefully this is where you can help me.

what are some good eyepieces to create a good set for the XT8 plus. this can take 2inch and 1.25 inch eyepieces.

I are looking at replacing the 28mm eyepiece.

are the Sirius plossi eyepiece good quality or are they a waste of time?

the Sirius plossi are Orion branded

any advice or recommendations will be helpful and will look forward to the feedback.

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Hello Liam and welcome to cloudy nights.

I have tried many versions of these similar price point plosll eyepieces.  They are more alike than different.

Orion, Celestron, Meade,  Svbony ... I think many are made in the same factory.  They are all good eyepieces.

If you want to upgrade these, you will have to go to a televue, vixen, sterling plossl etc. These will probably

cost you twice as much or more and only provide a 10 - 20% increase in better view.  You will have

to decide if the extra money is worth it, if you are curious buy one in a similar focal length and see what you think.

Since you have a manual dob, you don't have tracking which means you have to bump your scope to keep

an object in view.  You can buy eyepieces with wider fields of view, but this is when the $$$ signs start to grow.

There are some decent 60 degree eyepieces that are nice, however as you go wider, and want better correction

at the edge they can get expensive fast.

Plossl's also have short eye relief meaning that the shorter the focal length the closer you have to hold your eye.

Many 60 degree eyepieces have longer eye relief. 

Many people recommend these, I have two of them the 8mm and 5mm.

https://www.cloudyni...radigm-dual-ed/

I know these are sold in the US, but they are made in china and probably are available in GB under a different

brand.  They are not any sharper than a plossl, but are a whole lot more comfortable to use.

I own no really premium eyepieces.  I once compared a TV 20mm plossl, to a 20mm Chinese one and saw so little difference I sold it.  So I can't comment on them. 

2 inch eyepieces are really nice for widefield work.  I have a GSO 30mm and it is OK for a scanning eyepiece.

The stars do look distorted in my F5 dob.  It would work better in your F6.  Because I live in light pollution,

I don't use it that often.  Only to look for new things that I have not seen before.  It makes them easier to see.

I'm sure it would be a real treat in dark skies.

Once again for 2 inch eyepieces,   if you want stars sharp from edge to edge, be prepared to spend a lot of money. 

Once again I have no recos on this.  I don't own a good 2 inch eyepiece.

Edited by vtornado, 14 August 2019 - 04:04 PM.

• liam_ventham likes this

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

Greetings, and welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Televue brand Plossls are very good. I have a 20mm and an old 10mm, which is no longer produced.

If you are a beginner at observing, you might want to use longer focal length eyepieces to get a wider field-of-view of the sky when locating objects. A good finder is also helpful. If you only have a red dot finder, getting a 10x50mm finder or a Telrad might help tremendously.

• liam_ventham likes this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Generally you get what you pay for in eyepieces. Almost everything with optical glass in it has an unwritten rule and that is for every 10% improvement it costs you double. Not counting that a name brand can also cost extra. To balance that everyone's eyes do not have the same clarity and color balance. So not everyone sees the same things thru the same eyepieces or telescopes. Its why I suggest going first to a public star party and looking thru various eyepieces and telescopes to see how much of a difference you can see yourself. If its a small difference you can stay at the level about where you are. On the other hand if you say WOW because they look a lot better then you have to figure out how good you want and how much you have to spend to get it. 

By the time I went to work for a dealer I had been in this hobby for over 30 years. I got to look thru a lot of eyepieces, new and used. In the 90's I switched to Pentax XL because at the time they were the best within the parameters I set, reasonably wide field (65 degrees), long eye relief (20mm as I used glasses then) and high quality. I chose them over TV Radians and Vixen LVWs. Since that time there have been a lot of improvements in eyepiece design with the obvious increases in price. I have chosen not to go better at my current age of 72. Yes Pentax now has the XW series. But the XLs cost about $150 each used while the XWs cost around $220 used and they are far from the most expensive. I could get ones with wider fields but I can't really use them as most have short eye relief. They are not the only sets I have but some are smaller and designed for travel and others are ones I use for star parties and such.

Edited by photoracer18, 14 August 2019 - 04:15 PM.

• db2005 and liam_ventham like this

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

Scope is I think f/5 or f/6, think more f/6 side. So not overly difficult.

TV plossls are nice, they are also fairly expensive. I suggest that if Plossl's are the chosen item you look at the Vixen NPL plossls. Said to be very good. Come in about 5mm steps so fair range to choose from. Start 30mm, 20mm then a couple for higher power.

TV plossls stop at 8mm and I guess that with less then that you are uncomfortably close to the eyepiece, so be a little careful of picking a 5mm, 4mm offering. 4mm plossls are good for standing a golf ball on before taking a swing, not good for a scope however.

If Plossl's are OK for you in terms of field there are the ES 52's. Do not have one but people say sharp across the field. Could be a plossl alternative. And at about plossl cost - worth consideration

Assuming you are in the US (add a location, really helps) the next is really the AT-Paradigms, $60. Nice 60 degree eyepieces try 25mm, 12mm and 8mm. Search out another at 6mm (no 6mm Paradigm) and those 4 will cover most.

Slightly higher cost are the Meade HD's. Another 60 degree eyepiece, buit opinion/reports seems to say a little better the Paradigms. They come in a 6.5mm so that will do the high stuff, then others like Paradigms or the closest match.

Wider fields are from ES 68's and 82's, but as ever cost rises. You have to pick long ones from the 68 range and shorter from the 82 range. Wide is useful in a dobsonian.

#6 liam_ventham

liam_ventham

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK hamsphire

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

I am from the uk and I'm only getting used to the type of lens plossi are the only ones I know of so far. I would be willing to move away from them or keep using them.

#7 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

Assuming you are in the US (add a location, really helps) the next is really the AT-Paradigms, $60. Nice 60 degree eyepieces try 25mm, 12mm and 8mm. Search out another at 6mm (no 6mm Paradigm) and those 4 will cover most.

In the UK you would be looking at these (same as Paradigms) -- https://www.firstlig...-eyepieces.html

The 25, 12, and 8 with a 2x Barlow would be a perfect set as the Barlow would let you use the 12 and 8 to get to 6 and 4mm.

Edited by BillP, 15 August 2019 - 03:16 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#8 25585

Aurora

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

An alternative is an 8-24 zoom & 2× Barlow.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics