•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari: Building Your Own Panorama

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Sky Safari offers a number of built in panoramas plus the ability to build your own.  Sky Safari offers some pretty simple instructions in the help section of the app.

Is building and installing your own panorama as simple and effective as it appears?

Edited by Oscar56, 14 August 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#2 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Nothing better than that nice green horizon line!
  • theApex likes this

#3 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Nothing better than that nice green horizon line!

Unless it doesn't represent your visible horizon.

• lphilpot likes this

#4 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

I did one for stellarium and for those of us with partially blocked views, it really helps in planning ahead. I did not know Ski safari let you do that as well. I will have to look into that.

Thanks

#5 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

Unless it doesn't represent your visible horizon.

You can actually raise the horizon line, which is handy if you have trees. 

• theApex likes this

#6 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

You can actually raise the horizon line, which is handy if you have trees.

Works great if your trees are all at the same elevation relative to your site.

#7 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

Oh you are talking about making a custom one fit to your observation point! Great idea! 

Sorry, I didn't catch on. 

#8 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:46 AM

One of my favorite iPhone apps Observer Pro, lets you use the phone’s camera to draw a horizon line inside the application. It can then be exported, and using a tool I outline on my website, you can then export that horizon out of the phone and import it into Sky Safari. 

#9 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

One of my favorite iPhone apps Observer Pro, lets you use the phone’s camera to draw a horizon line inside the application. It can then be exported, and using a tool I outline on my website, you can then export that horizon out of the phone and import it into Sky Safari.

Awesome. Thanks Andrew.

I have now added this ap to my iPhone.  I think this is going to be very useful.  I had a look at your website and noted the 2 pieces of software required to export and convert my local horizon to a png for SkySafari, but I have not found any published steps.  Are there any?

How do YOU use this in conjunction with SkySafari and planning your observations?

Edited by Oscar56, 16 August 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#10 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

Luminos downloads the terrain for the current/saved location(s). Not sure where they get that from, but it seems pretty accurate. There's a mountain just to the west of Socorro and it's darn close to the right height from the college observatory in it's shadow.

#11 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

Awesome. Thanks Andrew.

I have now added this ap to my iPhone.  I think this is going to be very useful.  I had a look at your website and noted the 2 pieces of software required to export and convert my local horizon to a png for SkySafari, but I have not found any published steps.  Are there any?

How do YOU use this in conjunction with SkySafari and planning your observations?

It's been a while since I did it. The instructions were actually on the Sky Safari website forums. But essentially you shoot your horizon with Observatory pro. Then there is a share icon in the custom horizon pane to e-mail it to yourself. It e-mails you a CSV file or something like that, that you then save to your computer. Then you run the script that you downloaded, and pick that file on your hard drive, it should output a PNG or JPG file that is your horizon image for Sky Safari. Using iTunes you select your phone and side load the file into Sky Safari, it should show up as a horizon in the list of horizons.

I'm trying to remember all the steps, but it's been more than a year since I did it. Hopefully that's correct. If not, you can search the Sky Safari forums, or even ask support over there, and they'll point you in the right direction. Just search custom horizon or something like that.

• Oscar56 likes this

#12 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

One other thing. I also bought a cheap phone mount for my camera tripod. I set my camera tripod in the location where my scope's mount goes, and put it to the height of the scope. Then I traced my horizon from that. I think that's about as good as you can get it.

#13 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

Josh has just posted instructions on how to move the horizon generated in Observer Pro to Sky Safari.  http://www.observer....ns-in-skysafari

I have now successfully transferred my horizon to my desktop and mobile versions of SkySafari.

• psandelle, NMBob and Lead_Weight like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics