•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using viewfinder magnifier on their camera?

accessories dslr
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Has anyone tried this before, do they work well on focusing at night?

Magnifier

Although it's usually 1x I've seen the ones with a little magnification, but not sure on how effective it is.

#2 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

I've used the Canon "Angle Finder C" which has 1.25X and 2.5X magnification.  Works great in day time and bright stuff like moon.  Much more comfortable viewing with the right angle, than without it.  For stars, though, its hard to beat a "live view" on a laptop at high magnification. 

#3 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:10 PM

I see. I have no rotating screen and it is a pain to look through the angled screen near zenith so I thought this could be handy. 

#4 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

I see. I have no rotating screen and it is a pain to look through the angled screen near zenith so I thought this could be handy. 

Yes it is very handy for that. But even better is if you can connect the camera to a laptop and view on there. You can adjust the brightness, contrast, magnification (maybe to 50x), etc.

#5 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

If you don’t have the rotating screen and you can’t get behind it you really need to connect a computer so you can use liveview.  There just isn’t anything likely to show through the viewfinder other than the moon.  Otherwise, you can try focusing in the daylight and taping the focus down.  It doesn’t allow adjusting focus later but better than nothing.

Edited by Napp, 14 August 2019 - 11:42 PM.

#6 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:49 PM

I think I can find a spot for viewing maybe around 5 miles away at most, is that enough for infinity?

what I'm thinking is just taping or marking the focus spot somehow on the focusing tube, so I can just pin it at night with no fuzz. 

The weather's been awful lately, but if it's alright I can get to it on the day..

#7 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:09 AM

A mile or so should work but 5 miles is even better.  A distant tower is good.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics