•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WR134 Using Ha and OIII Data Experiment

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

I have been collecting Ha and OIII data for WR134 and trying various HOO blends of the form:

R: Ha

G: a*Ha+(1-a)*OIII

B: OIII

where: 0 < a < 1

None gave me the blue/gold blend I like initially and manipulation using SelectiveColor to get the color palette I like in Photoshop seemed to harshly degrade the fine strands of features in the jellyfish-like morphology of the object.

Instead I tried a different process I used once before.

I started by stretching the Ha and OIII in Pixinsight using the DeLinear script and then exporting each frame to Photoshop.

Then I used the GradientMap feature in PhotoShop to convert the Ha to a range of golden shades and the OIII to a range of bluish shades and blended the two layers using the "Linear Dodge (Add)" blending mode.

This gave me a nicer starting point and allowed me to manipulate the OIII/Blue color independently.

I need to play with it more but my initial attempt was more to my liking than my traditional HOO process:

get.jpg?insecure

Edited by mikefulb, 14 August 2019 - 10:19 PM.

• Gregory, psandelle, R Botero and 8 others like this

#2 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:23 AM

Michael,

Wow. Fabulous image. I really like what you did with the OIII and Ha data. Thanks for the description.

#3 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:27 AM

Mike,

Interesting PS technique. I have never used the GradientMap tool, I will have to give it a go. The image is subtle and beautiful!

Cheers,

Luca

#4 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

Very nice and detailed image.  The OIII really stands out and I don't remember seeing the OIII in a full circular pattern.  Usually you just see the main WR134 structure along the top of the circle, but this shows OIII extending around or rather expanding out from center.  Awesome.  However, I am less enthusiastic about the Ha color.  It seems too green to me as I am partial to more of a gold color when shooting narrowband, but that is just my subjective taste.  

#5 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Very nice and detailed image.  The OIII really stands out and I don't remember seeing the OIII in a full circular pattern.  Usually you just see the main WR134 structure along the top of the circle, but this shows OIII extending around or rather expanding out from center.  Awesome.  However, I am less enthusiastic about the Ha color.  It seems too green to me as I am partial to more of a gold color when shooting narrowband, but that is just my subjective taste.  

Thanks for the comments (to everyone).

I didn't realize it was a more circular structure  initially and thought I was done when I got the main bright area.

Then I found some very excellent images on AstroBin and realized I needed to sit on it some more!

I appreciate your "artistic critique" of the Ha color - as you mention it is subjective so I find it helpful to have samples of what other people's tastes are like. 

In general I to do like the golden/blue look for HOO versus the salmon/blue but it seems both are quite popular.

I have found I tend to drift more into a "green bias" for many of my narrow band images. 

I wonder if narrow band color preference are like a fingerprint for each person.  :)

#6 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

Mike:

I saw your image previously on AB.  I like this color blend experiment as it brings out nice contrast beyond the usual HOO palette.  And I don't mind some green in NB images, particularly in SHO or "SHO-like" as you are doing here.  As I mentioned on AB, it would be neat to see what could be done with some SII signal added, although I have no experience with this region and don't know how much contribution there might be.

Best Regards,

Ben

#7 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

Mike:

I saw your image previously on AB.  I like this color blend experiment as it brings out nice contrast beyond the usual HOO palette.  And I don't mind some green in NB images, particularly in SHO or "SHO-like" as you are doing here.  As I mentioned on AB, it would be neat to see what could be done with some SII signal added, although I have no experience with this region and don't know how much contribution there might be.

Best Regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben yes I remember your comment on AB.  I will probably try 5-8 hours of SII once the Moon is no longer a factor.

I found this SHO version:

https://www.astrobin.com/413226/

I'm not sure how the SII is contributing to this particular image.

It is nicely processed but I don't really see any features in it not shown by the OIII data.

#8 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

Hi, Mike,

amazing result!waytogo.gif

As I remember: that was the only other image, where OIII was presented as a circle.

https://www.cloudyni...eye-in-the-sky/

regards

Andreas

#9 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

Hi, Mike,

amazing result!waytogo.gif

As I remember: that was the only other image, where OIII was presented as a circle.

https://www.cloudyni...eye-in-the-sky/

regards

Andreas

Thanks Andreas - yes that is the image I saw which inspired me to try to get the ring.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics