•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

POWERTANK LITHIUM LT - Evolution Mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

Reading the material from Celestron it makes it sound like this battery would be a preferred source to power my Evolution mount over the built in battery.

I'm thinking maybe power the scope with this and used the built in as a backup.

One question I guess would be if you plug in this external power source, the mount would use it instead of the built-in wouldn't it?

#2 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

It would be the same as plugging in any external power source, like your AC Adapter.  It would charge your internal battery and run your scope.

To reduce the drain on your external battery, charge your internal battery before you head out while you are also charging your external battery.  This reduces the drain on the external battery while observing.

Gary

#3 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

It would be the same as plugging in any external power source, like your AC Adapter.  It would charge your internal battery and run your scope.

To reduce the drain on your external battery, charge your internal battery before you head out while you are also charging your external battery.  This reduces the drain on the external battery while observing.

Gary

Hmm... good point.  I would prefer that the external not work at charging the internal but simply power the mount but I guess unless the internal is fully charged that's not going to happen.

#4 donstim

donstim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle Area, WA USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:31 AM

Where do you see that Celestron recommends use of this battery over the internal battery in the Evolution mount?

#5 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Where do you see that Celestron recommends use of this battery over the internal battery in the Evolution mount?

I don't.  I'm just asking.  The technology description makes it sound better than the built-in battery.

• Gary Z likes this

#6 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:31 PM

Hi Dave,

The internal battery is the same technology as the two Celestron lithium battery packs.  I wouldn't see an advantage to using one of the external batteries other than overall longer run-time.  That said, there are details about external power for the Evolution mount which you need to learn.  On this page of my website:

https://www.nexstars...dsEvolution.htm

see the article "The Evolution and External Power".

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#7 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:48 PM

Hmmm, I see this is a newer lithium power pack which does have a bit more advanced technology than the two older Celestron lithium power packs and the Evolution's built-in battery.  That said, I still wouldn't consider it that much of an advantage over just using the internal power; especially considering the convenience factor.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#8 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Agree. The internal battery will last more than a night and if you're at an extended outing without power, you can use the external pack to charge the mount's battery during the day. 

#9 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:00 PM

Reading the material from Celestron it makes it sound like this battery would be a preferred source to power my Evolution mount over the built in battery.

I'm thinking maybe power the scope with this and used the built in as a backup.

One question I guess would be if you plug in this external power source, the mount would use it instead of the built-in wouldn't it?

If you are trying to use your mount all night, and you wanted to be sure you had enough power, use an external battery.  While I'm certain the internal battery would be good for a few hours, I've never tested it alone for more than that.  I have however spent six or more hours with my external battery, with enough power to keep me going thru several other observing events before recharging.  But that internal battery is sure convenient when you don't get a lot of time to spend on observing.

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics