•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

apogee 20x80's and Oberwerk 20x80 standards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus, a.k.a. Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:53 AM

I was wondering if anybody knows if the Apogee 20x80's are the same as the Oberwerk 20x80 standards???....they do look relatively the same to me.
Thanks! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1000307-both binocs.JPG

#2 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

Yes. They do look the same. But again a $59 Barska 15X70 looks the same as a $149 Oberwerk 15X70 also......The difference is usually in the coatings and slow polish....perhaps~5-10% better light transmission for the bino with the best broadband multi coating on all glass and prism surfaces.

The Oberwerk 20X80 Standard recevied very good reviews for edge sharpness. However, I don't know if either of the above will offer a noticeable gain over your Celestron 20X80.

Erik D

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info Erik. I am sure that the Obies or Apogees will have superior coatings as compared to my celestrons and from what I've read, the 20x80 Obie standards or the Apogees, (if the Apogees are the same as the Obies), have immaculate edge correction as well as great optics. This doesn't mean I WILL see MORE, but the overall outcome will be better then my older celestrons.

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:54 AM

So I guess nobody else knows?

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:04 AM

Only someone who has had both in their posession at the same time would know. And even then, there are some things you cannot see. There are at least a half a dozen different things that could be different, most of which you cannot see.

Please read the Best Of article titled,
If They Look the Same, What Could be Different?
and the post link from there
These Look the Same, Are They.

edz

#6 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

Thanks Ed...and thanks to the other post. I will read and learn !!!!

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

Markus -

I have not used either of the binoculars you asked about. Having said that, I have obsessed over these big binos for a long time now and I have eagerly gobbled up every drop of information about them on the web. From the articles and reviews, I would consider the Oberwerk to be of higher quality than the Apogee or the Celestron.

Arbitrary order of quality :

Celestron ---> Apogee ---> Oberwerk

Current Celestron giant binoculars are not fully multicoated.

Apogee owners give mixed reviews of their binoculars - some like them, some hate and curse them. (RED FLAG)

Oberwerk owners give positive reviews 90% of the time and their binoculars are fully multi-coated.

Like I said before, this is not direct experience speaking. But I am also in the market for a new giant binocular, and I would lean towards the Oberwerk or Garrett over the Apogee.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#8 MIKADO

MIKADO

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

What is funny, it is that these binoculars all are manufactured by the same company.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

So are the Camray, the Matrix and the Corolla.

edz

#10 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

That's Camry, a small rodentia, as one of my almost girl friends declared about each of our cars (as-in, we both owned Camrys at the time). I took a picture of a possible Carmy, although it has not been verified. I enclosed it. A Camray, on the other hand, is kind of like a cross between a flounder and an underwater bat.*

I once worked on an assembly line, making bicyles, and then fixing dictating machines for a factory defect before they were shipped. In manufacturing the designers and front office may not know what is actually going on on the factory floor. There is the potential for a lot of variation due to all sorts of issues: misplaced parts, missing (stolen) parts, workers with hangovers, foremen who insist their way is the right way when wrong, etc. Quality control takes a real hands-on involvement by someone, anyone.

*that's a painful "off-center" :foreheadslap: , droll, joke.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1007731-mooncat.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics