•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Current top H-Beta Filters? Visual Only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stoest

stoest

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

I have good UHC and Oiii filters in my kit now and I'm ready to add a top quality H-Beta. I see the Lumicon and Teleview 2" filters for around $200 and know both of these companies make top quality products so I'm looking for any factors that would help me decide.  If there are other H-Beta filters I should also be considering please let me know.  As I've been looking through the information on filters online it seems that filters can vary from year to year or one batch to the next so I'm trying to focus on what I would purchase new in the next month or so.

I'm hoping to use a 2" H-Beta filter for some serious attempts on the horsehead with my 18" dob from a Bortle 3 site this winter but will be using it on the other objects that respond to H-Beta as well.

I would appreciate any experience comparing the currently available filters as I decide which one to purchase.

#2 asterope62

asterope62

Explorer 1

• Loc: Brigham City, Utah

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:25 PM

I own a Thousand Oaks H-Beta 1.25" filter, I like it, works well. I also own an Orion 2" H-Beta filter, I cannot recommend it though.

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Soyuz

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:00 AM

You can buy either the Lumicon or TeleVue with confidence as they are both premium filters. I’ve personally used the Lumicons for a long time and have a complete set of those. They are very good.

I expect you are going to have some good success seeing the Horsehead with that setup. The first observation is the toughest, and it gets easy after that. I’ve seen people spend years looking at it without seeing it, and I think one of the reasons is that it is much larger than you expect. That’s my tip to remember.

• brentknight, Napp and N3p like this

#4 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:24 AM

+1 for the Lumicon and Televue hydrogen-beta filters.  They are the best.  Your scope and the filter will show the Horsehead in a good dark sky.  However, as Allan pointed out above the first time is the hardest.  The Horsehead is a dark blob against a not quite as dark background.  It can be very difficult to recognize the first time.  Get a star atlas and familiarize yourself with the star pattern surrounding the Horsehead.  You need to be able to find and identify this pattern.  Then you can concentrate on teasing out the slightly darker blob.  Check out Don Pensack’s Nebula Filters Buyers Guide spreadsheet.  Especially important is bandwidth (narrower the better).  

https://www.cloudyni...et#entry9290646

Edited by Napp, 15 August 2019 - 12:36 AM.

#5 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:39 AM

To find the horsehead nebula use a wide field low power with the H-Beta filter for a brighter image, it makes it easier to find IMHO.

#6 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

I own a Thousand Oaks H-Beta 1.25" filter, I like it, works well. I also own an Orion 2" H-Beta filter, I cannot recommend it though.

Why can't you recommend the Orion?  I've seen that Don did recommend the sample that he had.

#7 asterope62

asterope62

Explorer 1

• Loc: Brigham City, Utah

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

Why can't you recommend the Orion?  I've seen that Don did recommend the sample that he had.

I find that in the Orion filter everything appears green, including the horsehead nebula, it just doesn't seem natural to me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics