•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Slslinde

Slslinde

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I have many 2 inch filters for astrophotography I changed my camera to a T3I. Should I buy clip in filters instead

#2 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

You can still use you 2" filters with your DSLR.  You should be able to screw it directly on the end of your t-adapter. 

You should not have to spend more money to get a clip filter if you already have the 2" version of the same filter.

Guylain

#3 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

And if you are using a lens rather than a telescope you can buy step rings to go from the filter thread on the lens to the 48mm thread of the filter. I got advice in this forum to do exactly that (and I did). Of course, this presupposes that the aperture of the lens isn't larger than about 46mm 43mm (the clear aperture of the filter), otherwise the filter will stop it down. If you need to stop the lens down anyway for control of aberrations (typical) that could still work. It also presupposes a lens of, say, 50mm or longer focal length if the filter is an interference type (as most LP filters are) because their use in front of wide-angle lenses introduces radially-symmetric color shifts.  

Edited by Alen K, 16 August 2019 - 11:42 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics