•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How's The Quark Holding Up?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 taseng

taseng

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Dade

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

It's been out for a while now, how's it holding up?

Thanks

Tad

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

Mine still works great. I'm the third owner and it was one of the first ones out. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Have mine for a year and a half. Works fine and gives decent views and nice images.

#4 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

Mine was overheating ,made a reflective shield. Now it comes on band.
Still in the process of changing bands differences are subtle if looking through EP during process
If I switch bands and walk away for a few . then I seem to notice more of a change. Promos look great
Chromo is a bit more disciplined
  • Klaus_160 likes this

#5 cptbobrfh

cptbobrfh

Ranger 4

• Loc: Walden N.Y.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:58 PM

I've had mine since April 2014. Still great!love it!

#6 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

Mine are working fine.

It is the USB power connection that is the weakest link that will come back and bite Daystar in years to come...

#7 taseng

taseng

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Dade

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

Thanks

When it came out I was thinking that since it works by heating an element it may not last very long. 

#8 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

I bought one that was a store demo, so probably an early model. Works great!

#9 V-Rock

V-Rock

Explorer 1

• Loc: Commack ny

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Hi, thinking of asking Santa to bring me one for Christmas. Would use it mainly with my astrotech 115 mm f7 edt. Should I bother buying a focal reducer for that telescope? I would mostly be using this for visual, maybe some pictures through my Canon EOS. Is there anything else I would need for this setup it would be riding on a Losmandy G11 mount. I also have a Istar 6" f12 to try it in. So let me know what you guys think.

#10 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Hi, thinking of asking Santa to bring me one for Christmas. Would use it mainly with my astrotech 115 mm f7 edt. Should I bother buying a focal reducer for that telescope? I would mostly be using this for visual, maybe some pictures through my Canon EOS. Is there anything else I would need for this setup it would be riding on a Losmandy G11 mount. I also have a Istar 6" f12 to try it in. So let me know what you guys think.

Don't forget a IR/UV cut filter as an energy rejection filter.  Some long focal length eyepieces as well.  A focal reducer will be handy if you get into imaging although using a dslr is not ideally suited for H-alpha.

#11 RickV

RickV

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

I've had my used Quark Chromosphere since end of February 2019... hard to believe how much use I got out of it in the last 6 months!  LOTS!

No issues yet.

Best,

Rick

#12 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

Heya,

I've had my Quark a few years now. It was used when I bought it. I punish it year round. No issues so far. I would buy again based on this experience. I have of course read other experiences. The key is that if you're worried and this is a serious purchase, get it new from a place that will accept returns and functional warranty, etc. If you're not worried about it, get a used one maybe. The used prices on Quarks are not different from a new price here on C.N. if you compare $950ish + shipping/insurface to a $1200 new one shipped for free. So if $200 after overhead is significant to you, maybe just get a new one.

The weakest points of the Quark are the elctronics, the USB connection fitting over time can be damaged easily with a few bad yanks, the PCB board and electronics are a weak point because they can fail over time and lose temperature control. The etalon itself should last a long time, the blocking filter will last a long time (and is replaceable, it's an Andover filter). Don't look at them as 20 year products. But it should last an entire solar cycle unless its a lemon on arrival.

Very best,

#13 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

On the USB connection issue, I just have a large plastic tie around the waist of the Quark holding an 8-12" microUSB to standard USB cable, and then use a 6-10 foot USB extension. If there is a yank, it disconnects the extension, or at worst could damage your $2 8" cable and not your Quark. See here:

https://www.cloudyni...30mm/?p=6143901

George

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics