•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dropping back in after a long hiatus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Van Buskirk

Mike Van Buskirk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hayward, CA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

Hi all.
I haven't been on this forum in 10 years. Wow! Just logged in again with the help of an admin who was gracious enough to help me with my user name and password.
Hope to learn from you all here.🙂

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

Welcome back, Rip Van. A few things have changed since last time so you have a bunch of stuff to catch up with. Time to get at it, with gusto. wink.gif

#3 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Welcome back.  What happened that encouraged you to jump back in?  Were you doing astronomy all by yourself?  Gave it up completely?  Would love to hear about it...

#4 Mike Van Buskirk

Mike Van Buskirk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

Thanks guys.

Brent, I seem to go through phases where every couple of years I get the bug to buy a telescope and then don't have the money or I talk myself out of it thinking that if I spent the money on one I might lose interest and so I don't buy one.

What's funny is that I am 57 years old and have wanted one since I was about 10 when the 6" Newtonian Dynascope was in the ads in magazines.

All I have now is an old Celestron C90 that was my dad's as well as a pair of Celestron Ultima 8x56 binoculars. I take them out now and then in the backyard but get bored with not seeing much here in our Bortle 7 or 8 skies.

I would like to get an 8-12" Dobsonian and look at the sky with it but once again I don't have the money right now so I am trying to save some or sell something to purchase one.

#5 brentknight

brentknight

Apollo

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:31 PM

I know exactly how you feel about spending the money and then worrying about not using the new toys enough.  I don't know if you have a club nearby that you can join, but sharing the hobby with others often helps you keep your motivation.  Next clear night, take out the C90 and post your thoughts and observations over on the Newbie's Observation Log.  I know they would enjoy hearing from you and you don't need any fancy equipment.

• BFaucett and SeaBee1 like this

#6 Mike Van Buskirk

Mike Van Buskirk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Brent, I'll see what I can do.
  • BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics