•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light Polution Filter Recomendations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Kimbler

Tim Kimbler

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

I live in a community of 20,000 residents.  A lot of light pollution, I would estimate a Bortle 7 sky.  Interested in photographing nebula and galaxies, from my back yard, with a one-shot color camera.  Looking for recommendations for a light pollution filter.  Or one for each object type if that is a better solution.  I assume I need 48mm filters to attach to the camera.  Thanks 

#2 kingjamez

kingjamez

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

What kind of telescope / lens are you using?

• scadvice likes this

#3 Tim Kimbler

Tim Kimbler

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

A 127 apo and 80 apo with an ASI1600mc pro camera.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

I image under Bortle 8 skies and I use either a Hutech IDAS LPS2 or an Orion Imaging Skyglow Filter, both work very well.

Enjoy!

#5 kingjamez

kingjamez

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:38 PM

A 127 apo and 80 apo with an ASI1600mc pro camera.

For nebula, you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Optolong L-eNhance filter with those scopes. If you want to spend more, buy a 2" Triad. 

For Galaxies... I'm not sure a light pollution filter will help.

-Jim

#6 ehunnell

ehunnell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Longmont, Colorado USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

Agree the Optolong L-eNhance is great for nebula. I would suggest trying a CLS filter (I use the Astronomix one) for galaxies.

Eddie

#7 Tim Kimbler

Tim Kimbler

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

Is the Optilong the duo band filter?  Are most folks just imaging nebula from light pollution areas?

#8 kingjamez

kingjamez

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

The Optolong L-eNhance gets Ha, O3, and Hb. And really makes light pollution go away.
Galaxies are harder since they are broadband and any filtering that you do directly effects the galaxies as well. It’s possible to shoot them from light pollution but much more difficult to get quality results.

-Jim

#9 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

If you are going for nebulae and you don't care too much about star color, then there are a number of options in increasing price.  At the top - I think - is the Radian Triad Quad - at $975 for 1.25".  It covers all the main bands: Ha Oiii HB Sii.  There are others at lower cost that should still work well in blocking light pollution.

But for galaxies it all depends on how broad band your light pollution is.  If you are looking for a filter that helps with L imaging - it may be that nothing will work because it blocks the light from the astro object also - and doesn't have a net gain.

For my light pollution I don't think anything will work for broad band imaging - and I just need to expose longer total time.

Combining something like the quad with an osc camera will have less processing flexibility than doing mono narrowband - but it may have a 'look' that is more natural and pleasing.  And the total price of an osc camera and just one filter may be a net savings - and simpler - than a filter wheel and sequencing through filters.  And you can image for a while with the nebula filter and combine it with pure osc for the star colors.

Frank

#10 Tim Kimbler

Tim Kimbler

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

I guess I'll order the Optolong L-eNhance filter and image nebula from my yard.  I'll try galaxies on an occasional dark sky trip.  Thanks to everyone for the advice.    

• kingjamez likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics