•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX 200 10”. Circa 1995

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scottmacd1961

Scottmacd1961

Lift Off

• *----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

I have been finding that periodically the motor will stop tracking.  I can hear it stop.  If I touch the tube gently it will start up again.   Any suggestions or maintenance?   Scott

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:17 PM

If a light touch doesn't introduce mechanical vibration I suspect it's an electrical connection problem, perhaps at a board component level.

• Jim Waters likes this

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Check the electrical connections / wires from the circuit boards to the motors.

#4 jaymcgil19

jaymcgil19

Vendor-LX200 CLASSIC ELECTRONICS EXCHANGE

• Vendors
  • Loc: S/E Michigan

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

Could be many things but since it starts back up when you nudge it, check the solder joints at the motor under the black shrink tube.

John M

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:01 AM

I have been finding that periodically the motor will stop tracking.  I can hear it stop.  If I touch the tube gently it will start up again.   Any suggestions or maintenance?   Scott

As already been suggestion, it's possible it is a connection problem somewhere. If it has been sitting for long periods, contacts, plugs, etc can become oxidized preventing good solid connections. And if it was used a lot, it could have worn cable plugs and/or sockets for the handbox and DEC to fork cable..  It's also possible it needs a "lube job" since it is 24 yrs old.  Intermittent problem are always a bugger to figure out.  The easiest thing to do, with NO POWER connected, is plug/unplug cables to "scratch" new connections, including the ribbon cable from the front panel to the motherboard, and the plug for both the RA and DEC motors, as well as the cable to the fork arm.

#6 Scottmacd1961

Scottmacd1961

Lift Off

• *----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

thx guys.  This helps.  I will keep you updated.

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics