•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter w/GRS & Ganymede at Zenith 2019-08-15

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

G'day all,

I captured Jupiter last night as it passed through zenith. Winds were calm, but seeing was variable. I made my capture session into a cross-eye stereo 24-bit animation at 80% of capture scale (click for full size and color):

jupiter_preview.gif

Jupiter w/GRS & Ganymede 2019-08-15 10:06-10:34 UTC

Cross-eye stereo animation

Skywatcher 180 Mak-Cass

Fujiyama 12.5mm ortho

Canon T3i

What I've enjoyed about using cross-eye stereo on Jupiter is that in addition to adding depth, it allows me to use my brain's optical processor to synthesize a better image than what either eye actually produces.

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 15 August 2019 - 05:56 PM.

• Jeffrey C., Kenny V., jim kuhns and 15 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Really nice BQ, I'm very much enjoying these stereo animations at a good size.

Andrew

• Joe1950 likes this

#3 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

The Zenith? Wow!

Beautiful images. Love the 3D effect. I use a binoviewer and I guess the principal is the same. I find it helps with detail on the planets and moon.

Jupiter doesn’t get to 30 degrees where I’m at. It’ll be several years before it gets out of the weeds.

Nicely done BQ!

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

Thanks to all for the likes and feedback!

Really nice BQ, I'm very much enjoying these stereo animations at a good size.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. The APNG format allows for substantially cleaner images at a large scale. The scale for this one was 7.14 ppAd—the animation at full capture resolution was over the 10 MB limit, so I had to scale to 80% for it to fit.

The Zenith? Wow!

Beautiful images. Love the 3D effect. I use a binoviewer and I guess the principal is the same. I find it helps with detail on the planets and moon.

Jupiter doesn’t get to 30 degrees where I’m at. It’ll be several years before it gets out of the weeds.

Nicely done BQ!

Thanks, Joe. Jupiter transited toward the end of the animation at 88˚27'—close enough for me to declare "zenith"! I've been considering getting one of those binoviewers for double-eyeballing…not so much for the 3D effect (you don't get any parallax through a single aperture) but because of the constant irritant of floaters in my observing eye. Do you find the image (of planets, anyway) is too dark once you split it?

BQ

• Joe1950 likes this

#5 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

Not at all, BQ. In fact, I’ve used the binoviewer on an 80mm refractor and an ETX 90. Both show plenty of light on the planets. The 3D effect is an initial impression that fades with time. The ease of seeing more detail and the comfort of observing is very real, IMO!

I’ve tried several times comparing monovision and I just see more with the binos! 

Of course, not everyone feels the same way. But if you have access to a binoviewer, I’d say it’s certainly worth a try!

All the best!

joe

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

Not at all, BQ. In fact, I’ve used the binoviewer on an 80mm refractor and an ETX 90. Both show plenty of light on the planets. The 3D effect is an initial impression that fades with time. The ease of seeing more detail and the comfort of observing is very real, IMO!

I’ve tried several times comparing monovision and I just see more with the binos! 

Of course, not everyone feels the same way. But if you have access to a binoviewer, I’d say it’s certainly worth a try!

Thanks, Joe. I'll keep the binoviewer on my wishlist!

BQ

• Joe1950 likes this

#7 Helvetios

Helvetios

Explorer 1

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:48 PM

Very cool.  You really get a better sense of Ganymede orbiting as it just starts to disappear.

Richard

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:08 PM

For those who dislike animations (or have trouble with the 3D silly.gif ), here's a static 3-frame derotation:

001-003_derotated_80%_7.12ppAd.jpg

Jupiter 2019-08-15 10:09 UTC

3×1024-frame 200sec stacks (48% rejection)

Derotated in Photoshop CS5

Scale = 7.12 ppAd (λ = 536nm, 80% sensor resolution)

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 16 August 2019 - 02:10 AM.

• KpS, Joe1950 and Foc like this

#9 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:45 AM

I did a restack on Ganymede on my best exposure. With just 1024 frames, I got a ton of contrasty detail with a 2× stack (200% sensor resolution at a truly whopping 17.8 pixels per Airy disk!):

001_ganymede_wavelets_cleaned.jpg

This bodes well for Neptune, which subtends twice the solid angle as Ganymede at present…

BQ

• Joe1950 and Foc like this

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

Curiously, the Mobile site version removes the link to the APNG from the animated GIF; if I click on it (from Chrome for Android), it just gives me the GIF. I may have to start providing the link to the APNG separately:

https://www.cloudyni...586_5151386.png

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics