•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which is best performing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greg6498

Greg6498

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Glasgow, VA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

Of these three 7” Maks which would you say is the best performing? All are 2” backs and 180mm.

Orion 180mm Mak 

Celestron 7” Mak

Skywatcher Sky Max

This will go on my Advanced VX mount.

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

All basically the same but I find Orion stuff is usually more consistent (QC).

• Bean614 and Greg6498 like this

#3 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

I'd say they were all probably built in the same factory but might have different specs. 

• Greg6498 likes this

#4 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

Actually, is this a new Orion 180mm Mak that has a 2" back? The older ones didn't. 

• Greg6498 likes this

#5 Greg6498

Greg6498

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Glasgow, VA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

Actually, is this a new Orion 180mm Mak that has a 2" back? The older ones didn't. 

Yes! They now come with a 2” back but no diagonal. I had a Skywatcher Evostar but the fit and finish was fairly poor quality. 

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

I think I'd go with the Celestron. I think even though it's most likely the same scope I believe it's possible that Celestron branded stuff is held to a bit higher standard or at least I like to think that's the case. Perhaps that's wishful thinking on my part but my Celestron Edge 8 has very good optics and nice fit and finish.

• Neptune and Greg6498 like this

#7 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

The Celestron has a wider dovetail than the others.  As to specs, no one knows what they are so that's just conjecture.  QC, well, I've gotten multiple scopes that had to be returned from all of them.  

The SW and Orion are sold as separate OTAs, while the Celestron has to be bought in a package unless the retailer buys and separates the OTA and sell it.  Orion has no 'accessories'.  Orion has a very easy, no hassle no questions asked 30 day return policy that you can just download a $9.95 return label from their site.  Orion now charges sales tax on everything.  I don't know about the others or their retailers at this point in time.

Regardless, a 180mm should be an excellent scope.   Had one, looking to buy another.

Good luck

SB

• Greg6498 likes this

#8 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

I'm expecting delivery of the Celestron version Monday. HPS breaks up the full package to sell the main components separately (I think). While their return policy is not quite as inexpensive as Orion; I'd have to pay shipping both ways, i think I'd prefer to have a Celestron in the long run.

I chose the Celestron for its wider dovetail and paint scheme 🤣. Seriously though, I'm going to be picky and if doesnt suit me - mechanicals and optics- it will go back.
  • Greg6498 likes this

#9 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

I'm expecting delivery of the Celestron version Monday. HPS breaks up the full package to sell the main components separately (I think). While their return policy is not quite as inexpensive as Orion; I'd have to pay shipping both ways, i think I'd prefer to have a Celestron in the long run.

I chose the Celestron for its wider dovetail and paint scheme . Seriously though, I'm going to be picky and if doesnt suit me - mechanicals and optics- it will go back.

Looking forward to your impressions.

#10 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

Looking forward to your impressions.

Will do. Of course the forecast for next week doesnt look real great . . . 🙄

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics