•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES 127mm FCD flattener and reducer options?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

What are the best working options for both flattener or flattener/reducer with an ES 127mm FCD?    Let me know if you have found the secret gem!

Are there any  on the market that give an entire flat field with that scope?

Thanks

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

I can tell you I have NOT been able to get a flat field with the ES 0.7x flattener/reducer with this scope.  It's close, but no cigar.

I also have the Hotech SCA Field Flattener as well, but I actually haven't tried it yet.  I wonder what others who may have used it think of it, in response to your query...

#3 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

I can tell you I have NOT been able to get a flat field with the ES 0.7x flattener/reducer with this scope. It's close, but no cigar.

I also have the Hotech SCA Field Flattener as well, but I actually haven't tried it yet. I wonder what others who may have used it think of it, in response to your query...

Thanks for letting us know about the ES FF not working 100%. How much of the star field is not corrected?

I am really curious to hear about the Hotech FF!!
Let us know when you find out.

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for letting us know about the ES FF not working 100%. How much of the star field is not corrected?

oh dear and they just lowered the price on the ES focal reducer /flattner. i am planning on making the purchase. Actually I had verified from other users that it is a good item.    

https://www.highpoin...VEaAolmEALw_wcB

#5 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

Take a look at my last 3-4 images on Astrobin (link below).  They're all with the ES reducer/flattener.  I would say it's maybe 10-20% jacked around the periphery, and even then, not bad enough to make me lose sleep.

Clear skies have been so few and far apart, I loath to change my setup and experiment, which is why the Hotech sits idly awaiting its chance to shine.  I will circle back to this thread if I do though...

#6 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Take a look at my last 3-4 images on Astrobin (link below). They're all with the ES reducer/flattener. I would say it's maybe 10-20% jacked around the periphery, and even then, not bad enough to make me lose sleep.

Clear skies have been so few and far apart, I loath to change my setup and experiment, which is why the Hotech sits idly awaiting its chance to shine. I will circle back to this thread if I do though...

The stars are actually better than I thought they would be! I have seen a lot worst in my own images :-( I am especially looking at your M8 image which seems to be the less cropped image. Can you share an uncropped version here so I can a look at the very far edges? Just a sub would do the trick. Unless the image in astrobin is not cropped at all.

Edited by Stephanh, 17 August 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#7 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

The stars are actually better than I thought they would be! I have seen a lot worst in my own images :-( I am especially looking at your M8 image which seems to be the less cropped image. Can you share an uncropped version here so I can a look at the very far edges? Just a sub would do the trick. Unless the image in astrobin is not cropped at all.

They are cropped to remove rough edges due to registration mainly, and also for composition.  Here is a single Ha sub of my M8 for your viewing pleasure smile.gif

gallery_298242_11004_3670499.jpg

P.S.  You have some excellent images on Astrobin.  Very nice!

Edited by jerahian, 17 August 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#8 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

Thank you the sub!   It is quite good!   I have seen a lot worst with my own images...crazy.gif

I don't post on astrobin anymore.  I prefer instagram, and it is free  ;-)

• jerahian likes this

#9 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

Since we're on the topic, has anyone tried the TS-Optics REFRACTOR 0.75x Reducer Corrector on the ES ED127 FCD-100?

-Ara

#10 Stephanh

Stephanh

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

Bringing this thread back to the top.

Ara has shown the ES hand grenade is a decent flattener/reducer for the ES 127mm FCD100 .  Are there others? 

What about the Astronomics flattener?

Now,  what about just a straight flattener?  I tried the ES flattener and I have quite a bit of star elongation all around the sub with the ES 127mm FCD100. :-(

Shame ES doesn't make one flattener specifically for that telescope.....!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics