•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can I get more from these images?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

I have 100 of these images of Jupiter but whatever I put in Registax, I did not get anything out of it worthwhile and I am not sure where I went wrong or perhaps these images are not up to the job?

Attached Thumbnails

• jup.jpg

#2 Dan Bryan

Dan Bryan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: KC, MO

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

I viewed some of your images on astrobin and those were very nice.

I've barely fiddled with Registax and PIPP... just received my first telescope early June this year.  Ok it's my first post ha but I'm curious how you captured your images?  The one image reminds me of what I was seeing when I zoomed in some.  I came to the conclusion I needed better source material for stacking.  And with the method used I was not going to get beyond what I have captured already.

For reference: https://youtu.be/r8wgJfqIoL0

I worked many nights with Jupiter (Bortle 9 here what else is a guy going to see in the city??) and my best images were not with my A6000  DSLR, but instead live video from my cell phone, then processed with PIPP and Registax.  Zoom at all on a Samsung S6 cell phone and the quality drops off severely.  Still I was excited to see the GRS which I learned there's an app to determine when it's coming around...

I'm using a 10" Dob and either a Meade 5000 UWA 5.5mm or 14mm EP. Yep afocal, as low as you can go in technology but I had fun making the phone/EP mounts.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I corrupted my Registax somehow and I can not get the settings back to what was working.  I decided it was time to look some at autostakkert.

Edited by Dan Bryan, 15 August 2019 - 08:51 PM.

#3 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

Could you share a little more info about the specific setup you used for capture? (Which scope, barlow, camera and capture software in particular.)

Also what were the capture settings? (Exposure/frame rate, total imaging time per run and frames captured.)

That'll help get specific advice. 

In general though, 100 images will be unlikely to give a good result - with the "lucky imaging" approach for planetary you typically want to be capturing 50+ fps (20ms exposure or less) for 2-3 minutes or more. This will allow you to select at least 1-2,000 of the best frames (least impacted by seeing) for stacking.

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

However the OP image was produced, it looks awfully noisy and blocky.

There is literally (well, figuratively) a ton of advice on here about how to capture and process planetary images.  Have you followed any of it?

#5 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

There is literally (well, figuratively) a ton of advice on here about how to capture and process planetary images

Virtually, perhaps? How many Cloudy Nights posts would equate to a ton of paper? Could be interesting to calculate a conversion rate lol.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics