•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A portrait of the Cave and a a couple firsts for me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Koradox

Koradox

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: S. San Francisco, CA, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

It has been a while since my last post.  It seems that every time I finally get some decent weather for imaging, it also coincides with some new experiences (firsts) for me as well.  This past week as well as a few days in late July, the fog decided to keep away for a bit.  Both times the Moon wasn't in my favor, but beggars can't be choosers and with the light pollution, don't think it makes an awful amount of difference anyhow.  I finally had chance to put some paces through using the Voyager software. Still doing a bit of tweaking, but I find it reliable and integrates with TheSkyX wonderfully!  Very pleased with it so far.  I was also able to try out the QSI690 that I picked up.  I like this camera and look forward to trying it out with the SV70T for wider captures.  I did have a little bit of issues in post processing with the Sii filter images, but finally worked it out.  Using Bias AND Flat darks while calibrating the flats made the difference.  Didn't need to for the other filters for some reason, but did for the Six.  SO went ahead and precessed all the Flats in the same way anyhow.

So here is my take on the Cave in SHO.  With 36.5 hours of total integration I had hoped for a bit more detail, but with the Moon and light pollution no doubt I could go for twice as long.  That being said, there are some nice dust lanes apparent and little details that are enjoyable to find and look at.  I still need to work on getting my star sizes down.  With usually 10-15 mph winds through the night, they tend to get a little bloated it seems.  At least that's my take on it.  Thanks for looking, feel free to comment or critique.

Tom

get.jpg?insecure

• Gregory, elmiko, PirateMike and 8 others like this

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

Incredible data!  Your 36.5 hours are noticeable in the very little noise evident in your image.  You also have fantastic stars, as would be expected with a Tak on a MyT.

That said, forgive me if you already know the following and I'm not sure if you use PixInsight or not, but from what I can discern, you can bring out more detail you have in there by running a Deconvolution, MultiscaleLinearTransform for sharpening, and some CurveTransformations.  Also, invert the image, run SCNR with Green, and invert back to get rid of the magenta stars.

Your data looks clean and solid.  Well done.

-Ara

#3 Koradox

Koradox

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: S. San Francisco, CA, USA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

Thanks!  

Yes I use Pixinsight.  I have messed with Deconvolution, but always seemed to make the image worse, so I haven't tried in a while.  Same with MLT, I just haven't gotten a handle on much more than the basics of Pixinsight.  I will fully admit that I have not put in as much time as I should have at this point on the program.  I guess that is time to change as I know my post processing is lacking.  

Tom

#4 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

Nice shot Tom and congrats on all the "firsts".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics