•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Evo 8 viewing planets and dsos

cassegrain Celestron eyepieces observing SCT
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deriksss

deriksss

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cibolo, TX

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

what is the best setup for celestron evo 8 sct for viewing planets and dso. im thinking about:

• getting a 2 " diagonal, using 2" 32mm ep for dso and getting an 1.25 adapter and use 10mm ep for planets.
  • getting a 2 " diagonal, using 2" 32mm ep for dso and getting a 2" barlow and use 26mm ep for planets.
  • getting a 6.3 reducer with 32mm ep for dso and a barlow with 10mm ep for planets all on 1.25 setup

are any of these options sufficient for viewing plants and dsos without having to remove a reducer or anything? any other suggestions?

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

Personally I would stick with a 1.25" diagonal and for starters get decent Plossl eyepieces of 32mm, 15mm and a 9 or 10mm. The f/6.3 reducer/corrector is a nice and useful way to widen the true field and correct for the inherent off axis aberrations of an 8"SCT. Better in my opinion than using a 2" diagonal and wide apparent field of view long focal length eyepieces. An 8" SCT is just not a wide field instrument but frames most of the best DSOs with a set of the above listed eyepieces. The 9 or 10mm will, on most nights, provide as much magnification as the seeing will allow for planets and the Moon.

Edited by Nippon, 15 August 2019 - 09:22 PM.

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:50 PM

I consider option #1 the most ideal because you do lose something when viewing Moon and planets with the reducer, and it is a bit of a hassle to take it on and off. With 2” you can avoid hassle of a reducer altogether. It is the more expensive route however, and I would go 38mm instead of 32mm.

I generally wouldn’t get a barlow for an SCT because they have so much focal length already. Of course I have other scopes so I have a wide range of eyepieces to work with all my scopes. Just starting out with a SCT I could see how a barlow could be useful.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain, Celestron, eyepieces, observing, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics