•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron SE mount for AP?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tiny68

tiny68

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

I am looking for a smaller more portable mount for my AT80EDT to do some astrophotography with.  I would be guiding it.  I am currently using with a CGE but it isn't very portable and I am getting older.  Anyone have AP experience with the these little gotos they can share?  I need pros and cons.

Thanks,

JTS

#2 TrustyChords

TrustyChords

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

I spent 5-6 months imaging with the 4/5SE mount until recently upgrading the mount.

The mount isn't very great for DSO's, but can work with a whole lot of patience. My experience is, maximum 30 second exposures (probably better to do 15-20 seconds), and be prepared to toss a lot of your exposures, depending on how picky you are. Using the 80mm might be more forgiving for you however.

Polar alignment is very hit or miss, obviously. A 6/8SE mount with the wedge may be slightly better. Also important to note that the wedge design likely prevents access some area of the skies near the pole depending on your imaging train.

Edit: I'm unsure about guiding, but the wobble factor and difficulty polar aligning very accurately might be problematic.

Like I said, you probably can make it work-- but at the end of the day, ask yourself what is your time worth to you.

It will work okay for planetary but expect some drift.

TLDR: coming from a CGE you are probably not going to find it acceptable.

Edited by TrustyChords, 15 August 2019 - 09:53 PM.

• tiny68 likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

A small GEM is best.  Something like an older SW EQ5 or Orion Sirius EQ-G.

• tiny68 likes this

#4 tiny68

tiny68

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the input.  I'll keep looking.   tim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics