•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lx90 12in declination not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grandpastargazer066

Grandpastargazer066

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

I have a problem with the declination on my telescope. Was out viewing the other night and entered Jupiter in the autostar the ra motor tracked but the dec motor which I could here running didn't move. Only had the scope for a year and a half, and I must say am very pleased with it. Just want to know how to go about fixing it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 jmorales21

jmorales21

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:56 PM

Check out this thread https://www.cloudyni...r-gears-repair/

And this video https://www.youtube....h?v=3s44lmXJgRY

I bet once you open your LX90, the mechanism will be very similar, and you would be able to pinpoint where the problem is (maybe the motor is kaput, or there is a problem with a connector, or something in the gears, or the electronic board).

Wish you the best of luck. Report back here with pictures and questions if you need help.

Cheers, Jose.

#3 Grandpastargazer066

Grandpastargazer066

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

Thank You for the info it gives me a place to start

• Skywatchr likes this

#4 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

Was the clutch knob tight enough?  I know it sounds silly, but that happened to me before. I then had a "DoH!" moment. lol.gif

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:35 AM

I have a problem with the declination on my telescope. Was out viewing the other night and entered Jupiter in the autostar the ra motor tracked but the dec motor which I could here running didn't move. Only had the scope for a year and a half, and I must say am very pleased with it. Just want to know how to go about fixing it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The good news is that the Dec drive is easy to get to. Skywatshr is right it could be just the clutch that's slipping. The two mentioned videos shows the LX200, which have totally different drives. I have attached a PDF with info of the Dec drive       

Attached Files

#6 Grandpastargazer066

Grandpastargazer066

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

Thank You Everyone with your comments and vid links and thanks Piet for the Dec axis pdf this will help with the disassembly

#7 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

Thank You Everyone with your comments and vid links and thanks Piet for the Dec axis pdf this will help with the disassembly

Let us know what the outcome was! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics