•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any little Mak fans here?

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#151 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:48 PM

I think Treadmarks may have a very valid point here. I have not been in the habit of using filters throughout my 40+ years of amateur astronomy. I never liked the artificial effect that color filters created despite perceived contrast improvement in some cases. I have also been delinquent in using my crossed polarizing filters. My eyes have always been light sensitive and I started wearing very dark sunglasses outdoors in my early 20s. Living in Arizona now makes it a must.  I am 71 now, and luckily my last eye exam several months ago showed no trace of cataracts. I do remember feeling that the glare produced by an 8" scope on Jupiter was a bit uncomfortable, but I don't remember ever trying a filter. I must admit that Saturn always looked good in the larger SCTs but Jupiter seemed to be the detail/contrast problem. I do remember decent views of Jupiter in a friend's C-5 but never thought about it seriously. I now use a 6" Mak for planetary and it has given me the best views of Jupiter I have ever had. Maybe I need to get another C-8 or C-9 and "dust off' my polarizing filters. I do agree with Bataleon w.r.t. Maks and the majority of DSOs, but planetary viewing, double stars, and carbon stars have been my interest for the past 10 years.

Thanks for the comments!

Frank

Tucson  

• Joe1950 and Bowlerhat like this

#152 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:37 AM

Well said! The only point we differ on is your remark about “a magical portal to another word.” No telescope does that. It’s the mind-telescope connection that opens a portal to another world: not the eye-telescope connection.

At times, during public outreach sessions, I’ve come across a few people who had a rather ho-hum attitude after looking at outstanding views of Saturn or Jupiter. Their experience had nothing to do with the quality of my telescope or the quality of the views.  

Reminds me of a small star party I went to. It was a small party for viewing the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. One guy showed us some pics of the andromeda galaxy and some nebulae photos: those were great photos with lots of details that he took by himself. But people don't understand the process behind it and looking at as if it's a Hubble's photo; they just took a glance at it and move along.

I had people too looking at Jupiter for first time through my SCT only for them looked back to me: 'that's it?' hmm.gif 

Edited by Bowlerhat, 14 September 2019 - 05:51 AM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#153 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

Speaking of star party incidents (a little off topic but still interesting IMO) - Many years ago when I was part of the San Diego Astro Association, we set up for a public star party in Balboa Park.  It was a gorgeous night and Saturn was in excellent viewing position, so most of us had Saturn in our scopes.  I was using a 6" Newt at the time. I noticed after a while there was a commotion starting up where one lady was going around to each scope and starting to get angry and raise her voice. When she got near mine I was able to understand what her "problem" was. She was saying there is no way Saturn could look like that in "small" telescopes and you needed big observatory scopes to get views like this.  She accused us of "fraud" and said we had pictures or transparencies of Saturn inside the scopes to fool the public. She even demanded that one person take his scope apart so she could prove it (C-8 I think).  In fact he did remove the visual back, diagonal, and eyepiece and let her inspect them.  By this time it was actually getting amusing for a lot of people and the local news media, who were covering the event, became interested in this lady's ravings due to the drama. She was never convinced that the Saturn she was seeing in the scopes was real and that we were defrauding the public. All of this wound up on the local nightly news. Luckily, she was the only one convinced that it wasn't the "real" Saturn. We had a good laugh with most of the other attendees after she left (still arguing and grumbling about "fraud on the public").  I'll never forget that evening.

Frank

Tucson  

• Joe1950 and Bowlerhat like this

#154 Joe1950

Joe1950

Cosmos

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

​Today she’s probably a flat earther, Frank!  That’s bizarre.

Is that Rocky Balboa park?  Didn’t know he was popular out that way.  grin.gif

• fcathell likes this

#155 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

Well, I was about 30 years old then and she was probably about 50.  I'm 71 now, so unless she was lucky, she is probably in a FLAT position now, in the EARTH!

Frank

• Joe1950 likes this

#156 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

Returning to some observing use of the Maks, my ETX 105 is my favorite Mercury scope. In broad daylight it is fun to pick up this innermost planet with my stationary Goto mount.

Arne

• Joe1950 likes this

#157 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

Did Meade make many of the 105 Maks?  They seem kind of rare.  I have the SW 102 Mak which I use a lot.  It is just so easy to set up and use. It is my primary scope for finding carbon stars on an old Celestron GT mount.

FC

#158 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

Did Meade make many of the 105 Maks?  They seem kind of rare.  I have the SW 102 Mak which I use a lot.  It is just so easy to set up and use. It is my primary scope for finding carbon stars on an old Celestron GT mount.

FC

There was an ETX-105, but not nearly as popular as the ETX-90 or 125.  They also produced a less expensive version with a single arm...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics