•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bought a terrifying 1000/254 Reflector - Will my equipment cope?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jethro777

Jethro777

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:49 AM

I managed to get a most wonderful - but terrifying reflector at a price that was too good to pass up. 

I think this will become my "Observatory telescope" when I get everything sorted.

For now though, it's going to need to go on my HEQ5 pro, which I understand is rated at a maximum capacity of 15kgs.  

That thing tips the scales at just over 10 - maybe 12kgs.  

I am just using it for visual observing, but I have never looked through, nor played with anything so big.

Right now, I have a full-moon, so I have about a fortnight before the new moon (not sure I can wait that long, lol!).  

I did recently upgrade my eyepieces, so the other worry I have is the focal ratio, which comes down to a tiny 3.93 - I have the Televue 24 Panoptic, Pentax XW7, 13mm Hagler Type VI, a 17.5mm Morpheus and a 2.5x Powermate.

I am thinking I should go a pier, with the HEQ5 mount on top?  Would that do, or should I sell the HEQ5 and go get a EQ6 type?

Thanks for you thoughts

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4786.JPG

• retroman2 likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:12 AM

The EQ6 will handle the weigh better but with any GEM, the eyepiece location will get tricky at times.

Rotating Rings help but are pricey. 

Be sure to post a pic of it on your GEM

#3 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:57 AM

I'd build a dob base for it you can find relevant examples online.

#4 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

The EQ6 will handle the weigh better but with any GEM, the eyepiece location will get tricky at times.

Rotating Rings help but are pricey. 

Be sure to post a pic of it on your GEM

Make a set of Wilcox rings. Just as effective and less expensive than rotating rings.

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

Heya,

Your HEQ5 on a pier will handle it visually and for solar system imaging, but not DSO imaging. The HEQ5 on tripod will struggle with it and it will be at the limits, over the limits, after you add rings & eyepieces and a finder. But on a pier, it will handle it better (the weakest point of the HEQ5 is the legs). I have an HEQ5 on a pier and it behaves way different than it did on a tripod, it bosses around 35lb loads like its a bigger mount than it is. Stability helps a lot. You also will need a shaft extension to properly counter-weight balance it.

That said, if your long term purpose is to use large scopes, go ahead and start preparing to buy a bigger, better mount. I would suggest you do not creep towards a 40lb mount and get a small increase in ability, but rather, look into the 60lb and 75lb class mounts as the only upgrade pathway, so CGX-L and CEM60 maybe and just save towards one and put it on a pier and then enjoy any size scope you can get your hands on and hoist comfortably.

Consider the moment you put an APO on there as a finder or guider. Throw on a heavy eyepiece. You're well into the 40+lb weight ranges. So go bigger.

Alternatively, big reflectors are super awkward on EQ mounts visually. That's more an imaging thing. For less money, you could get an Equatorial Platform that will track with it and set it up on a Dob/Alt-Az base. These handle way more weight and it will be far more comfortable and natural to visually observe with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I regularly punish my HEQ5 (Sirius) with way more weight than its supposed to handle, but its pier mounted, and it makes a serious difference. I image this way routinely, for years now, often. But not DSO. This is for solar system imaging (solar mainly). Shaft extension is necessary to get the weights on there enough to counter balance and then it handles it great. Trying to do it with more weight on the shorter shaft and it bounces around because its not completely balanced. So I added a 6~8" shaft extension and it handled it great.

Here's an all quartz 200mm F6 with an 80mm F5 on the back and another 10lbs of narrowband filters on top of all that. Handles it fine, around 35lbs total, maybe more.

32881881387_d889580dce_c.jpg

Here's a heavy Meade 10" F10 SCT with accessories, topping out over 32+lbs as well. Handles it even better because it has less of a moment arm.

30976652417_b9aa7d6351_z.jpg

Anyhow, I still highly recommend  you go for a 60lb or 75lb class mount instead of slowly creeping up only 10lbs to a 40lb class mount. Overdo it by a lot and do it only once. The HEQ5 is great for what it is, but you will easily end up with a bigger than 250mm aperture after this and you will absolutely need more mount eventually. You will put an APO on that reflector and weight just goes up up up.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 18 August 2019 - 09:28 AM.

• eros312 and Pinbout like this

#6 Jethro777

Jethro777

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:10 AM

That's amazing.
Well, I am going to pier it I think with a EQ6 on it.
I am going to build a 2m x 1.5m shed around it.
I wonder how high us best?
I think at f/4 I will certainly need a coma corrector for it.

Edited by Jethro777, 19 August 2019 - 12:11 AM.

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

Imaging or visual? If visual, maybe an AZ8? Better ergonomics. Should handle the weight fine. Very nice build with great clutch adjustments to deal with balance while changing eyepieces. And under $1,000. Yes it is expensive to add motors and GoTo, but let’s be real, are you really going to be able to do GoTo operation with an Eq mounted newt of that size? If you are imaging, sure. But cameras have no issue with looking through a telescope upside down. People generally do. Obviously you can rotate the tube, but that will usually ruin your GoTo alignment unless you have some really smooth rotating rings. So maybe forget GoTo and get a manual AZ8 which will generally be more pleasant to use? Also opens the door for dual scopes side by side, although easier said than done with a newt.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 19 August 2019 - 06:56 AM.

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:44 AM

That's amazing.
Well, I am going to pier it I think with a EQ6 on it.
I am going to build a 2m x 1.5m shed around it.
I wonder how high us best?
I think at f/4 I will certainly need a coma corrector for it.

Work out the angles needed so that a mounted scope can see polaris so you can polar align and work out the minimum angle of the horizon you want access to at the lowest scope position, or you'll just see walls. Remember that you can store the scope mounted in a non-home position, sideways/horizontal and scope level with horizon to make it easier to be tall without hitting the roof. Depends how windy things get for you too. Mine is setup so that I can see about 25 degrees and up in all directions, as there's nothing I'm going to be doing at less than that anyways.

Compare the EQ6 to a CEM60 (without tripod, just the head). It's not a lot more cost ($600 difference), but it's a lot more mount (a whole higher class in capacity) that will easily boss around your bigger scope (and future bigger scopes).

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics